shwaybotx

Hello from Amarillo, Texas, USA

Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:05 pm

Hi. I've mostly used Linux for the last 20 years, and exclusively for the last 15 as my only OS.

I'm a 64 year old physics buff born in New Jersey but living in Amarillo, Texas with my wife.

Presently, I'm running Solus inside a virtualbox on a Manjaro host, and as you can probably tell I seem to prefer rolling distros these days.

As for Linux experience, I've used most of the main distributions including Arch and distros based on Arch, Gentoo, Slackware, the Debian family like Ubuntu (many flavors), Mint, SolydXK and even TrueOS (formerly FreeBSD) which is not really Linux.

I've played extensively with desktop environments and favor KDE, Xfce, and Gnome with extensions installed (in that order as of present). Of course, I've used Budgie, Lumina on BSD cores, Mate, and all the lightweight DEs as well. I'm using Solus Budgie to write this.

I was attracted to fool around with Solus for two reasons. 1) It's a rolling distribution and 2) It's not a fork of anything else - kinda standing out on it's own if you will.

Running Solus as a VBox Guest inside Manjaro as a host, I've managed to get Guest Additions working and have full screen and 3d graphic acceleration as well as biodirectional file sharing, which is better than my other VBox guest attempts. I accomplished this by Googling "solus virtual box install" and found very helpful tutorials provided by your helpful Solus community.

I'm presently trying to install Google Chrome suing the Software Center and notice the message "This may take some time!" is not an exaggeration. I dare say this is slower than using portage on Gentoo, though that's not a problem. If it works, it works.

I'm encouraged to see that the Solus community and core team have expanded greatly. This was another factor that attracted me to give Solus yet another try. Thank you all for the hard work you do. Maybe one day, if I can get things working that I need, I might make this distro my host and main OS.

Solus has some good reviews as of late, but I rediscovered it from Wikipedia.

kyrios

Re: Hello from Amarillo, Texas, USA

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:24 pm

shwaybotx wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:05 pm
I'm presently trying to install Google Chrome suing the Software Center and notice the message "This may take some time!" is not an exaggeration. I dare say this is slower than using portage on Gentoo, though that's not a problem. If it works, it works.
Hello and Welcome !

Just like for installing VirtualBox as a guest instruction, you will find useful info on how to install Chrome on the Help Center.
Long story short is that the 3rd party repository is being deprecated and snap packages will be integrated to the software center soon to replace it. That's why minimal efforts are invested into it at the moment but this won't last forever.

shwaybotx

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:20 pm

Thanks. Well, I went back to the virtual box installation and then found a way to install Google Chrome from the command line, and guess what? Now even netflix and amazon videos play, and that's inside a virtual box guest. That's impressive.

Evertson

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:44 pm

Welcome from The Netherlands on this forum. I hope you will have a lot of fun with Solus. It is fantastic.
If you have any questions, just go to the forum and a lot people will be glad to help you.

Greetings from The Netherlands.

Evertson.

Excuses for any grammar mistakes. English is not my mothertongue.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”