Proteus

Greetings from Sweden!

Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:32 pm

Several years ago I began a longtime project of testing out many various distros.
First on virtual environments. If they passed that test, I then continued to real hardware.

In the beginning of last year I had two candidates: Manjaro 16.x and Upuntu Mate 16.04LTS.
April 2017 I made the switch from Windows to Linux full time. I still had macs (with Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
too but these had a longer changeover schedule).

Manjaro became my primary distro. Ubuntu Mate the secondary. But I also wanted to keep an eye out
for upcoming contenders. So about 6 months later I took on Solus3 and Linux Lite as third tier
candidates.

Time went by. I used Manjaro as a stable main distro and Ubuntu Mate was replaced by Linux Lite
as secondary. But I kept Ubuntu Mate as a firm contender anyway. It is that good. Around christmas
2017 I switched my mothers macmini to a brand new machine containing Mate. She is very happy
with this. It works fantastically well.

Come a few days ago an update of Manjaro really did a number on my main machine. After many hours
of trying to repair the damge I had only accomplished a copy of my /home. It was time to face the music;
my system had to be re-installed.

I still like Manjaro and XFCE but this was golden opportunity to try Solus on a more permanent and longer
basis. So my MacbookPro (2011) and my main machine both got the latest Solus3.
It was a surprising un-eventfull install. Very few issues or problems.

Both computers work fine and especially my main desktop machine runs like a dream. I do not know what
the future holds. But so far I consider this an major upgrade, to be honest. It is not a question of going from
bad to good (Manjaro XFCE) but from good to great (so far).

I my self is swedish born, on the wrong side of 45 (closing in on 50 :-/ ) and life long computer user. I began my
"career" with Commodore Amigs (which I never quite stopped using).
Linux is my final stop (as far as I know) as I see things. I'm tired of Microsoft and Appe. The have their good sides
but the less good is larger compared to the good nowdays. So I rid my self of that baggage.
Surprisingly the transition has been smoother than anticipated. About 85% of all software (mostly games) has
followed me over. Either via native ports or the excellent PlayOnLinux.
Streaming on Twitch works like a dream and works perfectly. In fact most things works perfectly.
Well until it stops. But so far that has only happened one time and look what that led to ;-).

So greetings from a life long "nerd" from Sweden!
//Proteus
Computer user since 1989

Faults

Re: Greetings from Sweden!

Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:20 pm

Welcome! Welcome! Says neighbour from Finland.

Proteus

Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:23 pm

:geek: :D
//Proteus
Computer user since 1989

Evertson

Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:30 pm

Valkommen fran nederlanderna

Greetings, Evertson

Return to “Introduce Yourself”