Jobangles

Greetings from America

Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:54 pm

Hi all,
I'm a perpetual Linux newbie, starting with Fedora in the mid 1990s. After sampling quite a few distros including OpenSUSE, Ubuntu of course, Mint, a specialty distro called Navigatrix, and a few others that didn't stay around long enough to remember, I discovered this gem called Solus. I'm not afraid to admit that I'm after a distro that has a windows feel to it. This fits the bill, but also has the flexibility that keeps me tied to Linux.
After installing Solus/Budgie on a partition on a spare HDD, I was impressed enough to wipe W7 off my main drive and do a full install. So far I am not disappointed. Everything just works, as some have said. The only issue I've had so far was the software center at the beginning, but help, it seems, is never far away. After some research I was directed to the magical SUDO EOPKG UP command, and everything just started to work. This is the first distro I've used that didn't start breaking just as I was getting up to speed, so I have high hopes for it. Someday I plan on figuring out how to compile my own stuff and maybe, maybe even contribute to the project if I get good at it.

solus-steve

Re: Greetings from America

Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:33 am

Welcome from the Republic of Texas!

I am a fan of eopkg also though I look forward to its successor, sol.

I ALWAYS update with eopkg as I prefer CLI based software management in general. Old habits die hard.

brent

Re: Greetings from America

Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:24 am

Jobangles wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:54 pm
I discovered this gem called Solus. I'm not afraid to admit that I'm after a distro that has a windows feel to it. This fits the bill, but also has the flexibility that keeps me tied to Linux.
Welcome. Your post makes me feel like subjectivity is everything. All I wanted from a distro was sleek, lovely, and independent. And that didn't resemble windows in the least bit. We both found what we were looking for, albeit from an opposite lens!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”