mwbworld

One of us…

Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:52 pm

I’m very new to Solus since I just installed into on my laptop last Friday but so far I’m really liking it. I’d heard about it for a while and had been thinking about checking it out for a while now but only took the plunge then.

I’m relatively new to Linux overall where I’ve been using it as my sole home systems OS for slightly over a year. My day job is tragically just a Windows place and we’re still on Windows 7 there. Before the switch over at home I’d been Windows at home for years (started with Mac back in the 80s but left when Scully was running Apple into the ground.)

I fled Windows over a year ago when I was a week past the Windows 10 “Anniversary” update which was about year after I upgraded my desktop from 7 to the then new 10 (and my laptop from 8.1 to 10.) Sure it took forever and it was clunky but I’d felt pretty lucky to survive the various windows updates over the past year or so. I’d even joked with a couple of people that where was my t-shirt saying “I survived another Windows update!”

Each one had had a problem of course like when I first moved to 10 and suddenly my graphics card was considered not good enough to do exactly the same streaming video and Blu-ray playing it had been doing successfully for years forcing me to update it. Then one week after the “Anniversary” upgrade there was a minor upgrade (including one to the graphic card driver to fix a flaw in the one windows forced on me that was causing that model graphic card I had to burn out…which it did!) which crashed my system completely. Couldn’t even safe boot without the blue screen of death!

So I fired up my laptop since it was still working - researching and starting to think…it’s time for an OS where I have a little more control and if there is an update problem there’s more of a fair chance to get things working.

So I’m definitely a newbie with barely a year under the belt with Linux, and Solus just being the third Linux OS I’ve dealt with. Definitely not a blind distro hopper since I prefer to take time to get to know a system and value it but still keeping an eye out in the long term for what might be better for me.

I really like that it’s going its own way rather than being one of the many building on the platforms out there. So far so very, very good with Solus!
- Michael

ryangorley

Re: One of us…

Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:53 am

Welcome, mwbworld! You picked a great distribution at a great time. I hope you don't feel shy asking about anything. Many of us come from the Windows world, and have had to learn to do things a little differently. Personally, computing has never been more fun since making the switch. Sure glad to have you here!
Managing partner at a FOSS-powered 3D rendering and web interaction studio. Marketing Team Organizer for Inkscape.

mwbworld

Re: One of us…

Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:32 pm

ryangorley wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:53 am
Welcome, mwbworld! You picked a great distribution at a great time. I hope you don't feel shy asking about anything. Many of us come from the Windows world, and have had to learn to do things a little differently. Personally, computing has never been more fun since making the switch. Sure glad to have you here!
Thanks for the welcome. I'm looking forward to learning more (and more) about Solus!
- Michael

Return to “Introduce Yourself”