ikey
Project Founder

Default package list needed

Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:58 pm

Hi guys,

So we can accelerate the process to reaching our beta stage, I'm going to need a list of the default software.

Note; These must pertain to a desktop Linux distribution! In all honestly I'm really looking for a package selection
that is on par with SolusOS (pre-installed software).
This includes browsers, editors, playback stuff, games if any, office suite, etc. The werks (TM)

Cheers!

Xmetalfanx

Re: Default package list needed

Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:34 pm

I would say that Office program-wise ... Libre Office is a must.

Video playback wise, I have been switching from VLC (which is one of my favorites) to Umplayer or Smplayer... Personally I'd go with either one of the last two (GUI frontends for Mplayer) though ... if VLC was the one included, that'd be a good choice too

I have only seen one or two distros with this pre-installed, but I wouldn't mind seeing "Boot-repair" for those times Grub/Grub2 runs into hiccups. http://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair/

Grub-customizer may be a good option, that I find useful to really customize your grub boot menu.

I am a fan of both Audacious OR Clemintine (sp?) for music playback.

Editor wise, I am a fan of gedit, as SOME of the other editors in different distros display my text files "funny" (probably due to some text "encoding") ... ANYWAY, Gedit never failed me no matter what distro I have had it on.

Firefox is my browser of choice, of course that's already in the alphas.

I always use Thunderbird for my mail client, and Pidgin for messaging too (though i know there are other messaging app options, I just fine pidgin is the best for me)

That's just a few of the major apps I can think of off the top of my head that I use often

----
Thank you for your work on this distro, as its hard as a distro-hoper (just for fun really ... I like to see whats out there) to find a distro that really catches my eye and is different from the rest. Even just seeing the videos of Budgie-Desktop on youtube (...before I recently installed alpha 3 on a partition), EvolveOS really looks good and I find myself telling other Linux enthusiasts about EvolveOS whenever I can.

-Xmetal

ikey
Project Founder

Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:55 pm

Thanks for the feedback Xmetalfanx :) I'm in agreement with a few of these, but until more posts arrive I can't "approve" any ^^

almehdi

Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:57 pm

Browser = Firefox
Music/Video = Budgie Media Player or Gnome defaults
Office = LibreOffice
Editor = Gedit
Mail = Geary

No chat client and no games..

ikey
Project Founder

Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:59 pm

almehdi wrote: No chat client and no games..
Re: Chat. I am in no way about to even look at social media integration. Optional chat clients, sure. Curious about how we handle real time support though,
the traditional thing to do is include (he)xchat and default to the support channel.

running bear

Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:28 pm

Browser = Chrome
Music/Video = VCL
Office = LibreOffice
Editor = Gedit
Mail = Thunderbird

james

Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:32 pm

Is wpa_supplicant included by default now?

GeneC

Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:45 pm

Hmm!
I won't be of much help here, as I notice I seem to go against the tide in most all linux apps... :lol:
Just some ideas..

Browser: chromium or chrome
Office: bare miniumum for me (abiword alone)
Music: dont listen to music...
Editor: Gedit or Medit
video: vlc or smplayer
social media: dont do social media.

SEE... :roll: .. :P

But glad to go with the 'crowd' on default apps (I tend to add/delete lots of stuff)

======================
Stuff I do like in a distro

1.Some sort of dock or ability to add apps to panel (PLANK is light and simple)

2. I dont mind using cli, but bad memory. (Clicompanion is always a must, and I feel overlooked).
http://www.webupd8.org/2010/09/cli-comp ... o-use.html
CLI Companion is a tool aimed at making the terminal easier to use: it's a GUI that displays a list of commands and an embedded terminal under it. The application comes with a list of commonly used commands by default, each having a short description and if you want to find out more about a certain command, simply right click it and select "Help". This will display the "man" (manual) for the selected command.

You can of course add your own commands to CLI Companion: simply click the "Add" button, then enter your command, an argument (optional) and a description.
3. Good custom actions to the file manager ( root access, open terminal here, et, et)
[from my Thunar]
1.png
4. "Favorites" in menu

5. Our control panel (gnome) is not bad, but Deepin (also based on gnome) has a real nice idea. It makes the distro distinctive, and apart from other gnome based distros. I know this would be a BIG jump, but wanted to mention it, as its so sweet.
The Deepin Control Centre is another headline feature. It puts system settings into a new desktop panel accessible from the right-hand side of the screen and features improved modules for configuring display, network and theme management.
Actually I liked the Deepin dekstop alot, but it was very buggy, and had mixed feelings about a Chinese distro (security)... :?
GeneC
Solus 3 ~(˘▾˘~)

riser

Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:42 pm

I'm happy to provide the list of apps I ended up using through personal experimentation.

riser

Browser: Firefox, Chrome
Editor: Geany
File Manager: SpaceFM
Office: LibreOffice
Email: Thunderbird
IRC: XChat
Image Editor: Gimp + plugins (gimp-plugin-registry) / DarkTable (for raw images)
Launcher: DockBarX
VM: VirtualBox
File Rename: pyRenamer
MP3 tag editor: PuddleTag
Wine Support: PlayOnLinux
Data Backup: BackInTime
OS Backup: Timeshift
CD/DVD Burn: Brasero
Video Conversion: HandBrake
Audio Editor: Audacity
Video Editor: Pitivi / OpenShot / Kino
Audio Player: Rhythmbox
Video Player: VLC
Screen Capture: Shutter / RecordMyDesktop
PDF: eVince / PDFEdit / ghostscript
File Comparison: Meld
EXIF management: jhead
Remote Desktop: Vinagre
Encryption: TrueCrypt
Fonts: Ubuntu / Droid / Whatever is clear

Assumed packages (not a complete list):
- conky
- lmsensors
- inxi
- localepurge
- sshfs/autossh
- bleachbit
- synaptic
- python
- ntfs-config (NTFS support)
- smartmontools
- lame / flac / mp3splt

Nice to have packages:
- Netflix support
- WebApp support (like in latest Ubuntu or PepperMint 5)
- Video drivers detection/install
- GoogleTalk / Skype

Other nice to have features:
- Auto SSD detection during install (for partition alignment and fstab options)
- Filesystem tuning (1% for non-log partitions)
Last edited by riser on Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ukbrian

Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:39 am

Hi riser

Welcome aboard Image

Return to “Engagement”