ukbrian

Re: Default package list needed

Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:08 am

2 places in the top 3 for your installer by a user and you want to drop it, start again?

http://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php ... 546#p42262

Code: Select all

My experiences: Mandriva, PCLinuxOS and Mageia have one thing in common: a problematic installer. Some times I only could install if I was offering free space (normally I partition with GParted live before installing).
The best installer: openSuse, LMDE and last not least SolydXK.

Justin
Development Team

Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:48 am

The installer is fine, it just needs tweaking. Faster, smoother, a few extra features.

ikey
Project Founder

Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:17 pm

riser wrote:
ikey wrote:Interesting point

I need a first run thing to set up the user, and also offer to install Chrome, etc. Think soluscc/firstrunwizard. I'd like for automatic Chrome and Steam integration to be there,
and driver management. Thinks that actually help the user experience that bit more :)
Good point, totally forgot about Steam!

I think things like enabling WebApp integration will take very little room (order of a few KB) and allow people to run various sites standalone (Hangouts, Keep, other non-Google, etc.).

Video drivers should work like in SolusOS and other distros, where they are d/l as needed (and only if the user asks for the proprietary driver).

riser
WebApp integration is pretty important I think, especially in this day and age. Anyone following my posts will see how awesome the Chrome App integration can be :)

Definitely agreed on video drivers, and they need to be a fluid operation too.

ukbrian

Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:03 pm

no more crazy ideas over the weekend while The Master is coding. :D

riser

Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:35 pm

I liked Steve's approach to listing the packages, but wanted a more compact way of displaying it.

Quick copy of content to s/s in docs: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Comments?

dyfi2

Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:11 pm

@ riser - It's a good list. I'm not familiar with using Timeshift but from reading about it, it would be unable to clone. Am I right?

The old established linux backup method was to tar and compress root from cli which gives file access (via extract) as well as the possibility to reinstall over a fresh install, which doesn't take very long today with a modern installer i.e. untar the backup file into root from a live CD. I have used this method to see if it works and yes it does (must admit it needed a little tweaking). I have been wondering whether a gui approach to this would be a good idea. Feel free to shoot me down in flames, just thinking outside the box!

GeneC

Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:25 pm

Riser

Thanks to you and Steve for putting those together. I see synaptic? Would that work as a package manger with pisi? (Excuse my ignorance to pisi, first go at it.)..8/
if not, what IS a good gui package manager from pisi?
GeneC
Solus 3 ~(˘▾˘~)

ukbrian

Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:23 pm

GeneC wrote:Riser

Thanks to you and Steve for putting those together. I see synaptic? Would that work as a package manger with pisi? (Excuse my ignorance to pisi, first go at it.)..8/
if not, what IS a good gui package manager from pisi?
PM gazza he did a tutorial for PiSi

ukbrian

Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:37 pm

dyfi2 wrote:@ riser - It's a good list. I'm not familiar with using Timeshift but from reading about it, it would be unable to clone. Am I right?
box!
You need saline-backup
install git and then open a terminal in a directory of your choice and run this command:
git clone https://github.com/SalineOS/SalineOS.git

update your cloned git repository, open a terminal in the SalineOS directory and run:
git pull

Open a terminal
sudo apt-get install git
git clone https://github.com/SalineOS/SalineOS.git
git pull
Get his github stuff
the one you want is "backup"
With thunar I blockmark all the folders/in /backup/etc I then load thunar in root with "gksu thunar" and paste them into /etc in your root.

Anthony Nordquist created some very good utilities for Debian in Yad
I would also check out
Clean a bleachbit thing
Ducky-Key I use for my favourites it's another window so easy to get at
Grub Doctor
Procurator KVM?
salineos-utilities

Enjoy

riser

Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:07 am

dyfi2 wrote:@ riser - It's a good list. I'm not familiar with using Timeshift but from reading about it, it would be unable to clone. Am I right?

The old established linux backup method was to tar and compress root from cli which gives file access (via extract) as well as the possibility to reinstall over a fresh install, which doesn't take very long today with a modern installer i.e. untar the backup file into root from a live CD. I have used this method to see if it works and yes it does (must admit it needed a little tweaking). I have been wondering whether a gui approach to this would be a good idea. Feel free to shoot me down in flames, just thinking outside the box!
Correct, Timeshift is for a local "restore point" like behavior. Useful for handling OS and package updates.

For cloning, I would use more specialized tools like fs-archiver or clonezilla (live CD cloner) which also handle MBR etc.

Return to “Engagement”