Scottapotamas

How to handle KiCAD nightly builds?

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:14 am

We've got KiCAD stable builds in the package manager which is fantastic. However, KiCAD's stable versions are quite old and most power users prefer to use nightly builds due to the myriad of new features which are awaiting the 5.0 release which is coming soon™.

While nightly executables are provided for windows and osx, and there is a coherent way of installing via community ppa on ubuntu/etc, Solus doesn't have access yet. I've struggled to properly build from source due to difficulties with dependencies (cairo, opencascade, the boost patch, etc).

Ideally I'd like to make this process easier for the Solus/KiCAD communities, but I'm out of my depth.

I see the following options:
  • I fix my buildchain and just build locally,
  • Use the kicad solus repository locally (how?), and modify it for bleeding edge builds,
  • Learn how snaps work, and try and create 'nightly snaps' after getting the stable snaps working again due to lack of maintenance on the kicad-snap repo.
  • Someone tells me how this really should be done to be accessible for other Solus users, because I'm presuming a kicad-weekly-from-source etc isn't going to be accepted into the main repo? Is there a provision for this kind of rolling-"unstable" software?

Justin
Development Team

Re: How to handle KiCAD nightly builds?

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:30 am

I'd work on the snap to make sure it works and then it can be used across any OS.

Scottapotamas

Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:51 am

Thought that might be the case. For my curiosity, do you know if there are any docs or prior discussions about this style of situation if a snap isn't the solution?

Also thanks for putting up with my crude 4.0.7 repo update the other day, it was my first one.

Justin
Development Team

Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:32 am

If snap isn't the solution you can use git to clone the kicad source files from Solus then update the version to the one you'd like and build it.

Scottapotamas

Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:00 am

I just thought I'd update this with my current progress, at worst, these findings might be useful when 5.0 becomes 'stable'.

Using my local copy of the solus kicad package, I needed to do the following:

1. I'm using the current master from the github mirror as the source https://github.com/kicad/kicad-source-m ... ter.tar.gz
When doing yupdate to get the package.yml prepared, I just made an arbitrary version number 4.1.1 (which will never exist, as KiCAD doesn't really do releases). I don't know what kind of legal version number would be used when building against a non-semvar managed repo.
2. The Boost patch is no longer required as this inconvenience was patched upstream a while ago. Remove that line from setup.
3. GLM is a required dependency. Add - pkgconfig(glm) as a build dep.
4. Start a build, wait half an hour, come back to find a shiny .eopkg.

I've come unstuck in actually installing it! I was previously able to install my own freshly built package based on the stable, but I think I'm missing something with bumping the package version number up? I get

System error. Program terminated.
<type 'exceptions.Exception'>: External dependencies not satisfied: kicad release 8

My Solus packaging experience is basically nil, was I meant to bump the package?

I'm a dunce, that was trying to install the -devel .eopkg. Installing the 'release' one works fine and I've validated the main programs and functionality works fine.

Justin
Development Team

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:41 pm

Awesome! When you see the next version come around make sure to come and bug us on IRC or on the bug tracker so we get this info, will make updating much easier.

Return to “Engagement”