Justin
Development Team

Our first unstable daily ISO!

Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:57 am

Link: https://solus-project.com/2015/06/29/fi ... daily-iso/

We’re enormously happy to be shipping our very first daily ISO today! In a nut-shell, its built directly from our latest unstable development material, meaning its brand spanking new, and all yours for the humble price of $0.00! This ISO is configured to continue using our unstable software sources, and as such is not meant for production usage. However, we’ll be uploading ISOs every day now, in a fully transparent development process. This enables you, our awesome users, to give us real time feedback on breakages, feature enhancements, and see tangible results every single day.

This image features the 4.1.0 Linux Kernel, Budgie Desktop taken directly from git, latest stable GNOME stack (3.16.x), and many other goodies. New packages are appearing in the repositories daily, such as our initial Blender build! As always, get your package requests in, and we’ll get them in for you!

WHY NOW?

We’ve already finished our beta cycle, this is the road to RC and beyond. And we want to get there without hanging around. With direct community involvement, we can achieve our goals very quickly! As an example, today EFI dual-boot is broken in this ISO, tomorrow it won’t be. We’ll have people verify those issues. As opposed to following upgrades continuously on custom installations, we can keep improving the entire experience, and land our installer changes, with real people to test them!

SWEET. WHERE DO I GET IT?

Head over to our download page! Once you’ve done that, you’re going to want to use the appropriate program, be it rufus, or dd, to get that ISO onto a USB stick. We really do not recommend engaging in this testing process using CDs. Not only are USBs much faster, they’re more reusable. You can use CDs if you like, but there are gonna be a lot of ISOs. So unless you really like frisbees, we’d highly recommend the USB option. As always, remember that Solus is not compatible with unetbootin! Do not attempt to use it, as it just does not work. This is the single-most common boot issue by far.

An example dd command (assuming your USB stick is /dev/sdb. Do not write to partition numbers, it will not work!)

Code: Select all

sudo dd if=Solus-Daily.iso bs=1M of=/dev/sdb

Always ensure the device is not mounted or in use. You can use this ISO in virtualized environment, just remember we do not make any optimisations at all for these systems. Solus sticks close to the metal, whether its optimised packages or utilising the GPU acceleration for the desktop environment. Here’s an example qemu boot line (Adjust RAM allocation as needed)

qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -m 4096M -cdrom Solus-Daily.iso

OTHER AWESOME UPDATES

Our Patreon campaign is really starting to take shape! We recently hit our first target of $150 a month, which will cover base project running costs. This is a monthly project sponsorship, and helps us to do all the awesome things we need to do with the project. As much as we distribute Solus for free, there is much personal financial and time investment involved. The more we can balance, the quicker we can achieve our goals. Solus is a long-standing passion, and if we realise our goals of establishing a company, it’ll be awesome all around. More hardware, testing, and time to dedicate, as well as a project that is liable. We are aiming for OEM images.. so… :]

FEEDBACK

As usual, leave a comment here, on the forums, in our G+ community, or on IRC!

guitmz

Re: Our first unstable daily ISO!

Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:15 pm

kewl

GeneC

Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:15 pm

Nice work.... 8-)

Boots right up to wifi on my laptop with none of the usual (other distros) haggles.

live@solus ~ 
$ inxi -F
Resuming in non X mode: glxinfo not found. For package install advice run: inxi --recommends
System:    Host: solus Kernel: 4.1.0 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Gnome 
           Distro: Solus Operating System Beta 2 
Machine:   System: Dell product: Latitude E6410 v: 0001
           Mobo: Dell model: 0667CC v: A03 Bios: Dell v: A07 date: 02/15/2011
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5 M 560 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 2667 MHz 2: 1466 MHz 3: 2667 MHz 4: 2533 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
           Display Server: N/A drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 80x24
Audio:     Card Intel 5 Series/3400 Series High Definition Audio 
           driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.1.0
Network:   Card-1: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 driver: iwlwifi
           IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: 18:3d:a2:39:5a:dc
           Card-2: Intel 82577LM Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e
           IF: eno1 state: down mac: 5c:26:0a:47:74:20
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 164.0GB (3.8% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST9160412AS size: 160.0GB
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: Cruzer_Glide size: 4.0GB
           ID-1: / size: 3.9G used: 2.2G (60%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/mapper/live-rw 
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 424 Uptime: 3 min Memory: 206.8/3766.0MB Init: systemd 
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.1.28 
GeneC
Solus 3 ~(˘▾˘~)

Justin
Development Team

Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:59 pm

Awesome to hear GeneC, I've nabbed the info from your inxi output and I'm going to start a hardware list :D

Dakushinobi
Contact: ICQ Website Yahoo Messenger AOL Facebook Google+ Skype Twitter YouTube

Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:01 pm

I'm excited, I'll have to load this up ASAP.

Keep up the awesome work

vriales

Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:04 am

Once again it installs but won't boot up on my machine. AMD 8350 8-core, Asus M597 board, 8 GB 1866 RAM. Sorry I'm done.

Justin
Development Team

Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:58 am

vriales wrote:Once again it installs but won't boot up on my machine. AMD 8350 8-core, Asus M597 board, 8 GB 1866 RAM. Sorry I'm done.
You're done? Have you tried reporting a bug or troubleshooting via IRC?

vriales

Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:43 am

I've tried to run every ISO you guys have had and not one has worked. Don't know if it's my machine, but it's relatively a fast machine with middle to high end components. Runs every other Linux distro I've tried to run on it. For some reason it won't run Evolve/Solus. Now I'm not using the Solus GRUB and I have no intention of using Solus GRUB, but every other distro I install runs fine without installing the GRUB and using Linux Mint 17.2 GrUB.

ikey
Project Founder

Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:46 am

Ok lets look at this from the smaller pieces. I doubt this is a hardware issue.

Walk me through your install/boot ...

You don't choose to install Solus's grub, that's fine. So from Linux Mint, I assume you ran "sudo update-grub2" or similar?
Its quite likely (this has happened before) that Linux Mint's GRUB hasn't actually detected Solus correctly. Can you pastebin
a copy of your /boot/grub/grub.cfg please? Or at least the relevant Solus section.

GeneC

Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:30 am

ufee1dead wrote:Ok lets look at this from the smaller pieces. I doubt this is a hardware issue.

Walk me through your install/boot ...

You don't choose to install Solus's grub, that's fine. So from Linux Mint, I assume you ran "sudo update-grub2" or similar?
Its quite likely (this has happened before) that Linux Mint's GRUB hasn't actually detected Solus correctly. Can you pastebin
a copy of your /boot/grub/grub.cfg please? Or at least the relevant Solus section.
I can verify that this very thing happened to me on my laptop. I did not install solus grub and LMDE did not recognize the installation of Solus.

Now on my desktop computer I have a triple boot (old solus install - A3.?) and both LMDE and Sparky (both debian based) recognize Solus install. I remember having some issues, but sorry, forget just how I got things running to recognize Solus. (Maybe install os-prober.?) Honestly I forget, but it is possible.
GeneC
Solus 3 ~(˘▾˘~)

Return to “Announcements”