ikey
Project Founder

Absolute Evolve OS 1 policy

Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:50 pm

Cross-posted from: https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/112089348 ... Az3e6TRovY

After thinking deeply (I know, it happens) about upcoming technologies, new concepts, blah this, blah that....

Here's my thinking.

Aim for a stable Evolve OS release *around* December. Now I'm going to re-emphasize that. *AROUND*. Not guaranteed, but rough guide, ok? :)

Support for 2 years for version 1 of Evolve OS.
No rolling release.
Mostly static base system with updates when needed (security, bug fixes that do not break things and aren't security issues.)
Up to date applications. This is your userland stuff, like LibreOffice, Firefox, VLC, the usual stuff you'd expect us to have.

Evolve OS 2, ~2016, you must be able to update from Evolve OS 1 transparently. How this is handled is something we'll think about later. Really.

Evolve OS 1 will still only ship as x86_64. If we gain resources for Evolve OS 2, we'll consider other arches. Given that Evolve OS 2 would be 2016-2017, it makes little sense to support 32-bit, 2 years and a bit from now.

Evolve OS will only concern itself with being a user friendly Linux distribution, and advancing concepts in user-friendliness. Like, managing the low level stuff for you.

What it wont be: A tablet OS. A server OS. Anything apart from a desktop Linux distribution.

What it will have:
Codecs
Productivity software
Ease of use and installation.
Budgie Desktop based on GNOME3.14. GNOME base will not update again during this 2 year period. Budgie and GNOME will recieve bug fixes and updates that are applicable - but we will not seek to chase version numbers.

We will not chase linux kernels, glibc versions, etc. You will have a *stable* base. To some, that means old. To us, that means reliable.

This is final. Thanks for your time in reading this :) Thanks also for feedback from people from various conversations on G+ and the forums.

GeneC

Re: Absolute Evolve OS 1 policy

Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:37 pm

Been following your g+ posts and forum. Gotta say your take on the future of Evolve and Linux in general is refreshing. A TRUE stable base with up to date packages.. :)

I've been using Debian base (both testing and SID) for about 4+ years, and its kinda of a hobby keeping it going. It runs very well, but needs constant attention. Not something I would recommend to someone who does not want to get his hands dirty.. I am amazed at the amount of daily package updates.. In SID some 20-60 daily recently. I always wonder .."what to heck are all these updated FOR?"... The same packages get updated over and over and over. Bugs do NOT get fixed. (Seen some for over a year). Package maintainers decide NOT to maintain them any more (just lost interest?). who knows.

To me, as it stands Linux will never be a mainstream operating system until all these issues are addressed and done with.. After 4+ years on Linux, I decided to give Win 7 a look. (Now I know how new Linux people feel), i was lost on Win7... :lol: 40+ GB.... :shock: Most of my Linux installs are about 4-5gb.., but take constant attention. I admit that part can some times be fun for me, (heading off problems, tracking down fixes, et). But this is no way to run an Operating System. :?

I like your vision. Will be following the progress. Don't get sidetracked by others. Everybody has an opinion. Follow your own path.
GeneC
Solus 3 ~(˘▾˘~)

daves

Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:40 pm

I'll post here the same reply posted in g+:
i agree to the stable base + updated application, but 2 years are too much. 1 year is the good equilibrium than stable and updates

ikey
Project Founder

Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:43 pm

Thanks GeneC: And I wont make the path mistake again :)

daves: I respectfully disagree. Up to date software will still be available. We need to stop this madness of incessantly chasing versions.

gazza

Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:50 pm

+1 ikey.

Constant changing kernels can be a nightmare for normal users. I'm glad you also see this.

The quest for bleeding edge is not stability. I realy do hope you stick to these guidelines. Maybe not to the letter but at least to the principle.
Don't miss the donut by looking through the hole.

ikey
Project Founder

Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:03 pm

Cheers Gazza :)
Doing what I know how, really. And in fairness, it lets me concern myself with more important things like integration, etc.

daves

Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:09 am

@ikey: i respect your thought. At least i suppose if you will build up something like AUR someone will put on it some updated softwares like kernels and other stuffs, so if someone wants to update the kernel he will can do that

ukbrian

Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:40 pm

ikey wrote:Thanks GeneC: And I wont make the path mistake again :)
I've not seen you make any mistakes to date, you seem to drill down to the problems and then resolve them.

Good to see a leader rather than yet another sheep following the crowd, perhaps your youth is an advantage

Seriously, you have a much broader knowledge than most and your unbelievably tolerant of us poor idiot sheep.

When you mentioned Tizen it put a smile on my face, glad it worked out for you friend.

ikey
Project Founder

Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:00 pm

Cheers brian :D And you're neither idiots nor sheep, we simply share a common path :)

ikey
Project Founder

Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:00 pm

(I'm the dude with the machete breaking through the bramble :)

Return to “Announcements”