skipik

no USB boot option

Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:02 pm

I lately bought an ACER Aspire V17 Nitro (Windows 10). I installed Solus through Rufus on a USB key (ISO). When re-booting my computer via the USB key, I get this warning message: « system doesn’t have a USB boot option. Please select other boot option in Boot Manager Menu ». Then, only the windows boot is available. The tricky thing is that in the Bios, there are 8 options concerning the boot order, including 4 USB.
I disabled the secure boot. I put the 4 USB boots before the Windows boot. I still get the same warning message and cannot use Solus.
Thank you a lot for your help.
PS : Some developers told me that a dual boot was not available on this computer but I am still hoping to be able to use Solus via a UBS boot.

kyrios

Re: no USB boot option

Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:33 pm

skipik wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:02 pm
I lately bought an ACER Aspire V17 Nitro (Windows 10). I installed Solus through Rufus on a USB key (ISO). When re-booting my computer via the USB key, I get this warning message: « system doesn’t have a USB boot option. Please select other boot option in Boot Manager Menu ». Then, only the windows boot is available. The tricky thing is that in the Bios, there are 8 options concerning the boot order, including 4 USB.
I disabled the secure boot. I put the 4 USB boots before the Windows boot. I still get the same warning message and cannot use Solus.
Thank you a lot for your help.
PS : Some developers told me that a dual boot was not available on this computer but I am still hoping to be able to use Solus via a UBS boot.
A very common mistake with rufus is to not create the usb disk with DD, so make sure to select DD image as explained Image on the Help Center.

Forget about what you were told in the post-scriptum !

skipik

Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:04 pm

Thank you for your quick reply. I don't find any "dd image" of Solus to install via Rufus. Could you please be more specific as I am not a developer? Many thanks.

antechdesigns

Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:13 pm

skipik wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:04 pm
Thank you for your quick reply. I don't find any "dd image" of Solus to install via Rufus. Could you please be more specific as I am not a developer? Many thanks.

https://solus-project.com/articles/inst ... nstall/en/

Follow me on youtube: Free Solus Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi4qFG ... YFA/videos

Download Linux Wallpapers https://www.opendesktop.org/member/455534/

skipik

Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:50 pm

It does work: many thanks for your support! Would you have any advice for the configuration of Solus, as I would like to copy some files on the computer, that I want to access and modify also via Windows 10.

skipik

Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:28 pm

kyrios wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:33 pm
Forget about what you were told in the post-scriptum !
Now I succeeded to boot via the USB key, thanks to you. But it seems the documents are erased each time I quit Solus. So how to deal with a dual boot, in order I can manage emails, text files and so forth, under Solus on a permanent basis?

kyrios

Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:18 pm

skipik wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:28 pm
Now I succeeded to boot via the USB key, thanks to you. But it seems the documents are erased each time I quit Solus. So how to deal with a dual boot, in order I can manage emails, text files and so forth, under Solus on a permanent basis?
Okay this is because you are booting on the live image and there is no persistence. The live session is more like a kind of demo that let you try Solus before installing it. If you look in the menu, You will find an application called Disks that will allow you to mount your internal disk so you can save your documents on it, but this is not the way Solus is supposed to be used and all your settings and son won't be preserved.

When you are on the live session, there is an icon for launching the installer. Once Solus is installed, then it is fully functional and all the settings you change, all the drivers/applications you install, all the documents you save will remain.

To install Solus alongside Windows, you have to create a new partition for Solus, basically either you have to add an extra hard drive/SSD in your machine or you have to resize the windows partition to make it smaller and create a new partition in the freed space. There are some tools to do this but do not forget to make a backup of your data before doing this.

skipik

Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:04 pm

kyrios wrote:
Once Solus is installed, then it is fully functional and all the settings you change, all the drivers/applications you install, all the documents you save will remain.
Sorry for the delay, I have been sick. Thank you for your detailed message, appreciated. I followed your guidelines, and it worked out without any loss of data. However, I am now facing 3 issues:
1. The documents and settings doesn't remain in Solus.
1. I can't copy a new file any more. No matter which hard drive. I was able to do so before installing Solus. I checked the permissions and they seem ok.
2. there are problems when launching and shutting down Solus: the USB key is sometimes detected, sometimes not, by the boot system. And the computer freezes during several minutes when you try to shut it down.
I guess I've missed something, could you please let me know? Thanks.

skipik

Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:21 pm

kyrios wrote:
Once Solus is installed, then it is fully functional and all the settings you change, all the drivers/applications you install, all the documents you save will remain.
Hi,
An answer would be highly appreciated as I can't use Solus any more. Not even to copy files from my external hard drive. Thank you.

kyrios

Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:38 pm

skipik wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:04 pm
kyrios wrote:
Sorry for the delay, I have been sick. Thank you for your detailed message, appreciated. I followed your guidelines, and it worked out without any loss of data. However, I am now facing 3 issues:
1. The documents and settings doesn't remain in Solus.
1. I can't copy a new file any more. No matter which hard drive. I was able to do so before installing Solus. I checked the permissions and they seem ok.
2. there are problems when launching and shutting down Solus: the USB key is sometimes detected, sometimes not, by the boot system. And the computer freezes during several minutes when you try to shut it down.
I guess I've missed something, could you please let me know? Thanks.
Hello,
Sorry, I missed your message. I hope you have recovered and you're feeling good again.

I am not sure I follow you. So you have installed Solus on your internal drive ? If so, why do you say the USB key is sometimes not detected ?

Return to “Installation”