skipik

Re: no USB boot option

Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:38 pm

Hi, thank you for your quick reply. I still need the USB key for the dual boot. Without the key, I access to the Windows session (which I also use). And yes, I have recovered, thanks!

kyrios

Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:52 pm

Actually I don't understand what has changed between this
skipik wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:28 pm
Now I succeeded to boot via the USB key, thanks to you. But it seems the documents are erased each time I quit Solus. So how to deal with a dual boot, in order I can manage emails, text files and so forth, under Solus on a permanent basis?

And this
skipik wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:04 pm
Sorry for the delay, I have been sick. Thank you for your detailed message, appreciated. I followed your guidelines, and it worked out without any loss of data. However, I am now facing 3 issues:
1. The documents and settings doesn't remain in Solus.
1. I can't copy a new file any more. No matter which hard drive. I was able to do so before installing Solus. I checked the permissions and they seem ok.
2. there are problems when launching and shutting down Solus: the USB key is sometimes detected, sometimes not, by the boot system. And the computer freezes during several minutes when you try to shut it down.
I guess I've missed something, could you please let me know? Thanks.

If you are still booting on the USB, it means you're still running the live iso and not the installed system !!??

skipik

Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:35 pm

Hi, Yes, I did install Solus. What has changed is that I can't copy files from an external disk to the hard drives. I really need it. Thank you for your help.

kyrios

Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:55 pm

skipik wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:35 pm
Hi, Yes, I did install Solus. What has changed is that I can't copy files from an external disk to the hard drives. I really need it. Thank you for your help.
If you boot on the usb key, it means you're still on the live session.
Try to boot without the key. Try to hit the spacebar repeatedly during boot, to display the boot menu.

geoffrey.A

Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:00 am

Perhaps skipik thinks that creating a bootable usb flash-stick that successfully boots up a Solus session, is the same as installing Solus. If that is the understanding, it is incorrect.

A properly and fully installed Solus does not need a USB flash-stick plugged in at all. The Solus image is installed to either free space on your hard drive, internal SSD or on another portable hard drive or SSD (like a SanDisk 500 SSD) . . . in this case, the installer is directed during the install to pick the external SSD device.

skipik

Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:49 pm

Hi, thank you for your help. Meanwhile, I tried many things, but it seems Solus is really unstable on my PC:
1. I cannot unstall it fully
2. when booting with the USB stick, the USB stick is sometimes detected, sometimes not. When Solus is finally running, everything is then really slow. When I shut down the computer, everything freezes and it needs several minutes to complete the process.
Have you any idea why everything is so slow and unstable when using the USB key?
I am afraid Solus is not the proper solution for me. Pity. It sounds attractive.

BradHeff

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:28 pm

The USB stick acts like a DVD installation disk, it is not your installed OS, Once you boot into Solus from the usb stick you will then need to install to your HDD or SSD on your computer using the Installation tool. See image below:

http://i63.tinypic.com/2z9fc5v.jpg

critter

Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:09 pm

Just to be sure --- were two separate USB sticks involved in your installation process? One you created with rufus, from which you booted and selected 'install Solus", and the second you selected during that install process? It sounds as if you just copied the ISO to a USB stick with Rufus.

As far as detecting the installation, your computer may/should have a boot selection key. Mine is F11 (do a search for yours).. tap that key during the bootup bios post and the boot drive selection menu pops up, allowing selection of any drive.

I install OS's directly on USB sticks all the time. Not all are suited for this role. I'm typing this reply running Solus 3 complete installation on a SanDisk Ultra 30g USB "stick".

Also, accessing your windows files is pretty easy, but you also mentioned accessing your emails .... email stored the Win disks? What exactly are you wanting to accomplish there?

skipik

Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:13 pm

Thank you BradHeff and critter for your quick replies. Actually, I installed it that way, BradHeff, and it didn't work out. No idea why. As for the boot option, critter, I use the F12 key, in order to access the boot options, but the funny thing is that sometimes my USB stick is detected, sometimes not. So it occurs quite often that I cannot boot using Solus because the USB key is not detected. I am using a Verbatim key, maybe it's why. And yes, I used 2 USB keys during the install process.
As it was complicated to deal with the whole thing, I decided to work mainly under Windows, using Solus only to transfer files from an external drive, which was formatted under macintosh. Even in that case, it doesn't work really well. So would you get any advice in order Solus works better, when booting with the USB stick? That would be nice if the USB key would be always detected by the boot system and that when I shut down, the process is normal (and not really slow).
Thanks again for your help, have a great day.

DaNoob

Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:38 pm

Hello

I am almost new into linux world (I had a fedora on a previous laptop) and i successfully install solus 3. I cannot find how to write a new topic so I use this one because it is the closest to the things I want to talk about (sorry if my english sucks but I am french).
I have lost a lot of time thinking the solus 3 installation broke my boot to windows. In fact, I just had to press space bar. I really want to say to the developper that the installation is easy but can they natively make the boot menu appear without pressing any key (space bar actually) because I think I am not the only one who search an hardware or software problem because of this feature.
I also want to say other simple things to developper but I don't know how to reach them! Please redirect me :D

I happily write this message from solus 3 on a toshiba satellite s50t-A-117 (i don't know where to say it to make it appear in the tested laptop)

Already sorry to disturb the chat. :roll:

Have a good day

Return to “Installation”