Wade Patton

No boot from USB, wrong checksum

Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:57 pm

I'll be first to admit I load Live versions sometimes without checking checksums. I've tried about 14 distros in the last 48 hours. I'm about to quit.

Solus looks GREAT, but it's not loading up.

So i checked the sums and found no match. I downloaded again. The second check matches the first, but is WAY shorter than the "official" checksum I downloaded.

I'd like to try Solus.

Was trying on a Mint booted machine, which is now a Manjaro machine, but I still have this one in Mint (and another one to set up).

Any pointers? Also, here's the sum I'm getting from the download:

9f274d23b1e58a5d20d76efaf1918b5d277c7e71 Solus-3-Budgie.iso

here's what I think it is supposed to be (but get lost quickly in terminal operations-especially when every coder out there has a different way of doing everything, maybe I did something wrong?):

04f9b16253afca95b77d1e56606b056dc824af88c1106e3a241cf1d3f129e8a1 Solus-3-Budgie.iso

How do I download one that matches? thanks a bunch.

Only been on Linux for a few years, but computing since DOS was King and color monitors were luxuries, but lost my "terminal ways" in the GUI world of Win. I no longer Win anything so I have to learn more of this "underhood" stuff. THANKS!

Wade Patton

Re: No boot from USB, wrong checksum

Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:10 am

nevermind.

The checksum I downloaded from your section on downloads appears to be wrong.

I searched the checksum I was generating and found it in some other list of Solus checksums and it matched fully.

SO I re-worked the USB stick and it loaded and worked great. I love it--Solus is very high on my list of OS's to fully install and get to know better. I've looked at 20-30 and have eliminated most of them now.

Then I took it to try on another system and it wouldn't load at all. I'm almost certain it's an issue with Sandisk. I bought a fresh stick and have had great success with it.

The Sandisk was mostly likely the issue- and when I become more sure of that, I will terminate with extreme prejudice that Sandisk with a ball-peen hammer It'll be a 32gig-smash hit! whoot?

But also methinks someone might look at the checksum offered officially next to the Budgie download I did. I don't see how I could have downloaded that wrong, and it doesn't match my checksum, and my checksum matches somewhere else--and works magnificently.

So thanks, but well.

solus-steve

Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:58 am

Regarding 14 distros in 48 hours (wow!) - what's the two biggest positive things you saw in Solus that set it above the rest?

Regarding failed Sandisk drive - what is the model number of the failed one? What model number did work? What make/model pc are you using?

I think this info may be helpful to the Community.

For the record, I've had absolutely satisfactory (even stellar) results from Sandisk Extreme USB 3.0 32GB on T440p. I use these to boot ISO's as well as targets for full installs.

Thanks and welcome to Solus!

Wade Patton

Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:57 pm

solus-steve wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:58 am
Regarding 14 distros in 48 hours (wow!) - what's the two biggest positive things you saw in Solus that set it above the rest?

Regarding failed Sandisk drive - what is the model number of the failed one? What model number did work? What make/model pc are you using?

I think this info may be helpful to the Community.

For the record, I've had absolutely satisfactory (even stellar) results from Sandisk Extreme USB 3.0 32GB on T440p. I use these to boot ISO's as well as targets for full installs.

Thanks and welcome to Solus!
Hello Steve thanks for your reply. First I'll mention more of my frustrations with installing, then I'll address your questions and comment.

I've tried to install (run live first of course) Solus on three machines. They are all very similar in hardware and age and CPU's. This one, #1, is the only one that has a video card GPU (non-nvidea) AND has booted to the USB containing Solus each time, no matter the USB branding. It has failed every attempt to boot on the other two machines, that use integrated GP. The initial "logo/timer" screen comes up on those two, then some fast/out of kilter texts flash across the sreen once or twice, pause, eventually a blinking cursor appears top left and that's all that happens.

Machine #2 is at my side, machine #3 is 40 miles away at grandma's(Mom's). They are 64-bit machines and #2 has been booted to a dozen or more USB Live OS events. Machine #3 I only get to work with once per week, and I only had one USB to transfer these files on, so It's had the least testing. I have booted it at least once to a live OS.

This very morning I was going to replace my current installation of Manjaro with Solus on machine #2 but then I recalled that I cannot do that. Bummed-will use something else. But I've run into some things I don't like about Manjaro so that's the end of my "Arch" trail for now.

First biggest thing I like about Solus is that it's built from scratch. Second, it works great in the Live environment. After I do an install, I'll better be able to answer this question. Often I'm eliminating over negatives, rather than positives. I've run Solus two evenings checking it out. Budgie works for me. Etcher is in the repository. If Kodi runs on it, I'm "sold".

My only complaint (aside from the conflict to loading on machines 2 and 3) is that I MUCH prefer a countdown timer on shutdown. I often forget to hit the second shut-down confirmation and the timed shutdown event offered by so many others is something that _works best for me_.

The Sandisk, (all my USB stuff is 2.0 and will be for a while yet) is not consistently recognized on my machines. The Maxell is. Every single time. Why, I have no clue, but it's a much nicer experience to not have to fight that concern.

Hyperfocus mode of ADHD, is where I get the focus to bore into something (operating systems this week) and stay on it, damning all the torpedoes of life...It's a double-edged sword.

MX Linux boot is the most amazing thing I've ever seen. Why? Because I could read every single bit of text that flashed across the screen. All of it. I've booted a lot of stuff. Not that it was slow, but that every word was positioned fully on the screen and in normal font sizes. That is a rarity, and if I was the sort who was putting OS's together, I'd want that for mine-it really stands out when folks are fooling with multiple releases.

I'm very near deciding on my next installation, have 2 or 3 more to test.

Thanks
Wade

solus-steve

Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:05 pm

Wade,

Regarding booting on iGPU vs dGPU- I am surprised that it boots on the discrete machines better. Most problems I see are with graphics card machines. I run mainly Thinkpads which are all integrated graphics and absolutely no issues... (Well, one but that is post install).

Regarding Sandisk- Can you look on the flash drive and tell me the model name? I know some flash models are problematic in my experience.

Regarding the pros of Solus- The 'built from scratch' aspect attracted me also. But, one potential downside is more limited repo software selection. Has not been a problem for me, since my needs are low. I found Solus because I was investigating alternative desktops, and discovered the solus project authored it. Also, Solus is moving up on the distrowatch ranking (for what this worth...) Just fyi, I do have problems with booting the install where I get a blinking cursor before the GUI happens. Seems to be related to systemd (of course). I have a bug report out you can search for if interested. dev.solus-project.com

Regarding MX Linux- Once upon a time I had played with Mepis, which MX Linux seems to be related to, and I noticed it is based on Debian Stable. I run Stable and Unstable (siduction linux) now, which run well, and other distros. Interesting about the good boot messages.

You know about the Solus package manager eopkg, right? Well, Ikey says he is writing a new one from scratch called "sol". I look forward to it, mainly because eopkg is so unknown, or seems that way to me. I prefer CLI package management which Ikey has stated is not something he is pushing or marketing his distro to.

Good talking and keep us posted on your progress.

-Steve.

Wade Patton

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:25 am

Update as I was really considering making Solus "my thing". But at this point I'm satisfied I won't be able to share it-and one of my machines shall be running whatever it is I "distribute" to my less PC savvy pals and such.

Not that you can get much lower than myself. I'm just not scared of poking around in a Bios or two--and I've learned a few things about the shell of the Linuxes and vaguely recall working with DOS back before dirt.

So the Sandisk is a "Cruzer" I had left it over there, but retrieved it yesterday. I went over with a fresh USB and Peppermint 8 on it. Which works on every machine I've tried...until that one.

So, on the advise of my network security with security clearance (at that time) pal, I've fallen back to trying the optical drive approach but I had to buy some DVD's. Got 'em today.

Burned a Solus disc first.
Tried it in this machine (#1)--fine and dandy just like before.
Tried it in #2 machine, no go.

As was last time--splash with logo and "optional" menu can be triggered (4 or 5 seconds only) then it spins and reads and hurls gobbledeegunk all over the screen. It changes resolutions and colors and there's a fat curser, then after a while the little cursor blinks up in the upper left. And it's forever.

I still don't understand how the checksum I downloaded when/where I got the files doesn't match the ISO's I pulled. My ISO's match each other (why I have two) and but that sum only matches one I found by searching the web -for that sum. And it appeared to be a valid report (I did not copy the screen--I shall next (if i don't figure it out)). AND it works fine on this machine all ISO, all media. Won't boot on #2 and the remote one (the are mostly similar in hardware but one is Samsung refurb from Tiger Direct and the other is Dell refurbed from relatives workplace_where he's the top IT guy.

Just for the giggles, I'm going to chuck another DVD into #2 here, and it booted right up. Like most of 'em do. It is Peppermint 8 (yeah same as installed but--this is "in front" of that right?) Anyway, I didn't boot it but selected HDD boot. So I consider that disc verified for my "finicky one".

Which may only be Solus. I'm trying to think of another distro that won't boot on #2. All of them boot on #1.

And here's a pic the specs of machine #2 (because it's much faster than me trying to make these two "network" again. Took the pic to share with someone else, so It's ready to go.

Networking- that's a whole 'nuther pile of learning I have to get familiar with. We did it once. I tried the same app later and couln't make it go. SO I'm not trying again until I have some time to burn-- for doing frustrating things. I'm a fast learner, just intensely short on focus. Hyper today Hypo tomorrow.

Dangit. Now I have to try all the ones I didn't take pics of when booted, to see if Solus is the sole distro that won't boot that machine via USB or Optical. It may well be and okay

Now Maui is booting by the optical. Man those things are noisy. Long live SSD!

Well hoot. It's a very slow go over there. Thought it was hung up, but rattles again just now. More at 11. also couldn't find the pic.

Wade Patton

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:45 am

found the spec. Now I'll run that command here for fun too.

Wade Patton

Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:24 pm

And today I take Solus, MX-17, AnitX 17,and Peppermint 8 over to the remote site to see if any of them will boot from optical media.

I think I need to learn Slackware and just quit messing with the "pretty stuff".

wp

Wade Patton

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:46 am

Okay, now I see that the reason for two different "correct" checksums could be because different checksum generation tools. Perhaps I downloaded the wrong one, or used the incorrect tool to generate mine. I don't know (yet). I gathered this much because I noticed that Slackware has a PGP checksum and an MD5 Checksum.

So I'm going to verify my Slackware checksum and if it's proper, I'll be booting the live version of Slackware.

SOLUS has totally failed me here. Not enough supportive brains to help me figure out why it will not boot from optical media to 2 of 3 of my machines. Every other OS I took to the _most_ finicky machine today DID boot up with no apparent problems. Maybe I get smart enough to figure it out later.

I do realize that a "live boot" and a full install are not the same and that hardware issues could yet exist, BUT if I can't even get started I lose interest. I "need" something that is an easier all-around fit for me and my old junk and those around me with old junk-and by junk I mean 10 year-old-ish W7/8-64-bit-capable stuff.

Call me if something changes. I'll keep an eye out for Solus updates. Still interested but until then I think-

I'm going Slack.

Wade Patton

Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:59 pm

And I did find that indeed there are apparently a multitude of ways to generate checksums, whilst sorting out the checksum for Slackware.

This trick I did not pick up on at any point previously, but have now earned it in the "way of less forgetting".

My enthusiasm for Solus has been dampened thoroughly by the fact that it, as packaged, cannot deal with a live boot on two of three of my machines. Using Slackware I'm likely to sort out how/why this problem could be fixed, but then why should I?

I'm in love with the KDE DE on the live Slackware demo, and I see no turning back now.

See you 'round the LQ boards and DistroWatch.

I'm done here. I only kept on to make a journal for my reference--AND to give curious onlookers an idea of what we have with Solus solutions. I'll put Solus down the list with Maui. Pretty to look at, and Pretty Much on your own with either as I see it. MX and AnitX would be preferred to that. And now I've gone Slack. Cheers.

Return to “Installation”