Luca

Problem with installation (mount points)

Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:04 pm

Hello,
after installed Solus 3 on my Lenovo TS140, i wanted to freshly reinstall it with a new added SDD.
At first i tried an automatic installation, but the installed was triyng to create a partition of 1TB on the new SSD (250Gb); so it was giving me an error :mrgreen:

So i decided format everything and create some partitions (512mb FAT32 for boot) and the others with ext4. I want to have /, /usr, /home (on the HDD), /var and swap.
But the installer let me decide only for root, /home and swap. I flagged the boot partition "boot" and "exp" with gparted, but the installer not even find a place for the boot; it say no EXP detected.

kyrios

Re: Problem with installation (mount points)

Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:33 pm

Luca wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:04 pm
Hello,
after installed Solus 3 on my Lenovo TS140, i wanted to freshly reinstall it with a new added SDD.
At first i tried an automatic installation, but the installed was triyng to create a partition of 1TB on the new SSD (250Gb); so it was giving me an error :mrgreen:

So i decided format everything and create some partitions (512mb FAT32 for boot) and the others with ext4. I want to have /, /usr, /home (on the HDD), /var and swap.
But the installer let me decide only for root, /home and swap. I flagged the boot partition "boot" and "exp" with gparted, but the installer not even find a place for the boot; it say no EXP detected.
Solus Installer only let you define mount points for / and /home (and of course a swap partition if you want).
If you want to have dedicated mount points for /usr and /var, you'll have to define them manually in your /etc/fstab post install but I really don't recommend doing that; also if you look at the filesystem structure, you'll see that symbolic links are used for some stuffs like /var/run -> /run or /var/lock -> /run/lock.

If the installer doesn't find the EFI partition it is either because it's booted on legacy (BIOS) mode or because the disk partition table is in ms-dos instead of GPT.

The rule is:
Legacy (BIOS) - MBR - ms-dos partitions - Grub2 bootloader
UEFI - ESP 512Mb fat32 partiton - GPT partitions - Goofiboot

Luca

Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:16 pm

kyrios wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:33 pm
Solus Installer only let you define mount points for / and /home (and of course a swap partition if you want).
If you want to have dedicated mount points for /usr and /var, you'll have to define them manually in your /etc/fstab post install but I really don't recommend doing that; also if you look at the filesystem structure, you'll see that symbolic links are used for some stuffs like /var/run -> /run or /var/lock -> /run/lock.

If the installer doesn't find the EFI partition it is either because it's booted on legacy (BIOS) mode or because the disk partition table is in ms-dos instead of GPT.

The rule is:
Legacy (BIOS) - MBR - ms-dos partitions - Grub2 bootloader
UEFI - ESP 512Mb fat32 partiton - GPT partitions - Goofiboot
Thanks for the fast response!

I force my BIOS to UEFI, SATA to AHCI.

What kind of installation is optimal? Root to SSD and /home to HDD? ext4 or lvm p2?

I'll check if my volume is GPT.

kyrios

Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:24 pm

Luca wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:16 pm
Thanks for the fast response!

I force my BIOS to UEFI, SATA to AHCI.

What kind of installation is optimal? Root to SSD and /home to HDD? ext4 or lvm p2?

I'll check if my volume is GPT.
Well that's more personal preferences depending on the needs.
Personally I only have SSD's in my computers. I only use HDD's for storage/archive/backups on my NAS.
I have no need of LVM since I have laptop and I can't add extra internal storage.
I don't even create swap partitions anymore. I just keep a relatively small swapfile which is never used since I set swappiness to 1. (The only constraint is my system can't hibernate, but I'm fine with that since I only use sleep and Solus boot damn fast on a SSD anyway).

Don't be scared about SSD lifetime, for a desktop use, the computer will become obsolete before the SSD dies.

Luca

Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:18 pm

I installed it without problems. Thanks for the help.

Return to “Installation”