danw32

Trouble with grub - can't boot without going into laptop's boot menu

Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:21 pm

Hi there,

I installed Solus from the Live USB (clicking the install icon) and installed it 'over' my Ubuntu partition using the second option from the popup installation window. It all worked fine until when it went to restart and it just boots up into the grub command line Image. I thought I'd destroyed my Windows installation, as I want to dual boot and replace my Ubuntu, but luckily when I type 'exit' at the grub command line it boots into Windows (phew). The only way I can boot into Solus is to use my laptop's boot manager and hold down the escape key before turning on and select the 'Linux Boot Manager' option Image. But obviously this isn't ideal and the Ubuntu bootloader is obviously still on there (see above image). I could go into Windows to delete/format the 'offending' partition but I don't wanna brick my Windows installation and probably everything else. This may fix the problem, I just don't want to risk it without asking here first. I even tried the 'sudo update-grub' commnad in the Solus terminal to no avail, which makes sense but I thought I'd try it! Image

Is there an easy way round this? I imagine I just need to get rid of the ubuntu bootloader and any traces of it. It may be my own fault and I did something wrong but I'm sure I followed everything to the letter, just one of those things I guess.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I love this distro!

Thanks a lot guys :)

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Re: Trouble with grub - can't boot without going into laptop's boot menu

Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:15 am

danw32 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:21 pm
Hi there,

I installed Solus from the Live USB (clicking the install icon) and installed it 'over' my Ubuntu partition using the second option from the popup installation window. It all worked fine until when it went to restart and it just boots up into the grub command line Image. I thought I'd destroyed my Windows installation, as I want to dual boot and replace my Ubuntu, but luckily when I type 'exit' at the grub command line it boots into Windows (phew). The only way I can boot into Solus is to use my laptop's boot manager and hold down the escape key before turning on and select the 'Linux Boot Manager' option Image. But obviously this isn't ideal and the Ubuntu bootloader is obviously still on there (see above image). I could go into Windows to delete/format the 'offending' partition but I don't wanna brick my Windows installation and probably everything else. This may fix the problem, I just don't want to risk it without asking here first. I even tried the 'sudo update-grub' commnad in the Solus terminal to no avail, which makes sense but I thought I'd try it! Image

Is there an easy way round this? I imagine I just need to get rid of the ubuntu bootloader and any traces of it. It may be my own fault and I did something wrong but I'm sure I followed everything to the letter, just one of those things I guess.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I love this distro!

Thanks a lot guys :)
To remove the dead grub bootloader, you can either, remove it from the ESP, or set the default boot option to another option. If you have Solus and Windows on the same ESP, you can show the Solus boot menu and choose which one to boot.

See https://solus-project.com/articles/trou ... lt-on-boot

danw32

Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:05 pm

Thanks a lot for your reply :-) I'll give this a whirl and let you know how I get on.
Last edited by danw32 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danw32

Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:24 pm

Hi there, I've just tried the script from the troubleshooting page and got the following error:

sudo clr-boot-manager set-timeout 5 && sudo clr-boot-manager update
Password:
New timeout value is: 5
[FATAL] cbm (src/bootman/kernel.c:L654): Failed to install initrd /boot/EFI/com.solus-project/initrd-com.solus-project.current.4.14.14-47: No space left on device
[FATAL] cbm (src/bootman/update.c:L329): Failed to install default-current kernel: ///usr/lib/kernel/com.solus-project.current.4.14.14-47

There is over 400Gb on the partition, so confused as to what it's complaining about. How do I remove the ESP and find out if it's on the same one as Windows? I've googled and can't seem to find anything. I read a post that you can remove grub from Windows, but it didn't make much sense. My knowledge of EFI stuff is a little limited.

Thanks for your help and any further advice would be brilliant.

Cheers

kyrios

Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:02 pm

danw32 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:24 pm
There is over 400Gb on the partition, so confused as to what it's complaining about. How do I remove the ESP and find out if it's on the same one as Windows? I've googled and can't seem to find anything. I read a post that you can remove grub from Windows, but it didn't make much sense. My knowledge of EFI stuff is a little limited.

Thanks for your help and any further advice would be brilliant.

Cheers
FYI, the EFI partition size should be 512Mb to avoid problems

danw32

Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:37 pm

Thanks for all your help guys. I sorted it by downloading EFI manager and disabling the grub/Ubuntu boot options. It boots into Solus no problem now. If I want Windows though I still have to use the laptop's boot menu. I didn't create an efi partition manually when installing solus, as I just assumed it would replace Ubuntu, and didn't properly understand that's what I needed to do for a dual boot. Windows and Solus are on same ESP but it works for now - until I reinstall Solus on its own partition at a later date.

Cheers

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:20 am

Note that the ESP being out of space is an issue as you'll not receive any kernel updates

danw32

Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:54 pm

Ah, cheers sunnyflunk. That's a problem...... I might have to try and fix to but it's such a faff. Can't seem to find any "writeable" bits of my hard drive in Windows partition manager or Gparted...... Not sure what to do now! I want to keep Windows though. I'll probably have to Google some more and reinstall solus :|

Return to “Installation”