ilcaroleader

Installing to < 10 GB drive

Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:15 pm

Hello, since I am very tight on disk space (I am on a 32GB SSD dual-boot netbook and I can't wipe Windows due to work reasons), I'd like to try and install Solus onto a 7.5 GB partition, but the installer does not allow less than 10 GB. Is there a way to force this?

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Re: Installing to < 10 GB drive

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:18 am

ilcaroleader wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:15 pm
Hello, since I am very tight on disk space (I am on a 32GB SSD dual-boot netbook and I can't wipe Windows due to work reasons), I'd like to try and install Solus onto a 7.5 GB partition, but the installer does not allow less than 10 GB. Is there a way to force this?
The installer requires 10GB for it to proceed. You won't get very far without it, you may struggle to update your system, as the downloads to update will run you out of disk space

geoffrey.A

Re: Installing to < 10 GB drive

Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:41 am

If you can get a small portable SSD (like the SanDisk Ultra 500). https://www.sandisk.com/home/ssd/extreme-500-ssd, it's much better (& safer) than sharing an internal disk for dual-booting

So, on the smaller version (120 GB) . . . there is plenty of room for the SSD & bootloader. When plugged in, it will show in the uefi boot menu and will allow Windows to be the sole OS on the internal hdd.

If installing in UEFI mode, be sure to create a 512 MB EFI partition, else, if running in Legacy mode (BIOS/MBR), then let the Grub bootloader be installed to the external SSD.

Note: works best if your host PC has usb v3. Then it runs fast just like on the internall hdd/ssd.

Return to “Installation”