Coastie

Solus Budgie 3 killed my DVD? = No

Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:00 am

I was trying to"road test" Solus Budgie 3 on a live DVD. I wrote the iso to a DVD using Xfburn. My test computer and main computer will not boot from the DVD so I tried to blank the DVD. Sometimes the Xfburn would not recognize the DVD. Sometimes it would recognize the DVD and said it was a blank DVD. When Xfburn would let me try to blank or format the DVD, it fails and gives this message: "Failure: Asynchronous SCSI error : [3 51 00] Medium error. Erase failure."

The test computer and my main computer have different Linux Distros and both do as described above. My iMac PPC just ejects the DVD even though it normally recolonizes DVD with Linux and will format or blank them. I installed k3b burner on the test computer and it doesn't recognize the DVD either. When one of the Linux computer's file manager (Thunar) recognized it showed it has Solus on it.

Has Solus killed my DVD or is there a fix for it? :(
Last edited by Coastie on Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Left Mac OS X for Linux in Jan 2014

kyrios

Re: Solus Budgie 3 killed my DVD?

Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:58 am

Coastie wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:00 am
I was trying to"road test" Solus Budgie 3 on a live DVD. I wrote the iso to a DVD using Xfburn. My test computer and main computer will not boot from the DVD so I tried to blank the DVD. Sometimes the Xfburn would not recognize the DVD. Sometimes it would recognize the DVD and said it was a blank DVD. When Xfburn would let me try to blank or format the DVD, it fails and gives this message: "Failure: Asynchronous SCSI error : [3 51 00] Medium error. Erase failure."

The test computer and my main computer have different Linux Distros and both do as described above. My iMac PPC just ejects the DVD even though it normally recolonizes DVD with Linux and will format or blank them. I installed k3b burner on the test computer and it doesn't recognize the DVD either. When one of the Linux computer's file manager (Thunar) recognized it showed it has Solus on it.

Has Solus killed my DVD or is there a fix for it? :(

Solus hasn't done anything. You have initiated the action and xfburn has burned the DVD, right ?

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:23 am

You will likely need to reformat/partition the DVD (write another ISO over it), though I'm not quite sure how DVD's work since I haven't had a drive for a while.

Coastie

Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:20 am

sunnyflunk wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:23 am
You will likely need to reformat/partition the DVD (write another ISO over it), though I'm not quite sure how DVD's work since I haven't had a drive for a while.
Tried both with Xfburn but neither work.

kyrios

Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:45 am

I recall that when I used blank cd/dvd long time ago, it happened that from time to time some were defect and some re-writable medium suddenly stopped working after burning/erasing them (I admit that I used to buy cheap blanko disks) or some just became unreadable (especially when used on different computers).

I only use usb sticks for such things nowadays since most computers don't have a optical drive anymore. It's much more convenient : fast, silent, easy to use. I am not sure but I guess that even slow usb 1.0 is faster than an optical disk. The only drawback is that some old machine can't boot on USB and some even older computers don't have usb ports at all (but then they are probably not 64-bit and thus can't run Solus anyway).

Coastie

Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:23 pm

I have been reusing these DVD's for a couple of years. My computers will boot from USB but have done that only one when Solus iso could only be written to USB a few years ago. I find DVD easier than USB for this purpose. My main and newest computer is fully capable to run Solus.

Wade Patton

Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:41 pm

I have had great success with Brasero for burning live and install DVD's (and CD's for the tiny ones). Only had one bad burn experience so far and just trashed that DVD, started fresh.

This is with the over a dozen distros I've "hopped" lately. Except Solus. Solus won't boot with any regularity on my older stuff, USB or DVD. It does always boot any media, on my primary (not quite so old machine). But I yet want "more universal" functionality in my systems. IOW if I can't reliably boot any distro Live, I'm not going install to HDD.

I started a thread on this here a while back and just had to forget Solus. I might come back later when I've learned more programming and can maybe fix the problems.

Sorry if that's no help, but there's a lot of "space" around the info in this forum. I just happened back today as I was cleaning up bookmarks and seeing if anyone ever added more to my thread. Maybe Brasero does a better job for you, I've only resorted to optical drive use for the machines that are finicky about USB booting. Cheers.

Coastie

Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:11 pm

Thanks Wade Patton. I tried Brasero but it did not work either but I like the program. I may just trash the DVD too. I had a problem with Solus before viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3106&p=14756#p14756. I have seen reviews problems installing Solus. I am very interested in the development of Solus but it or I am not ready for the problems. I'll just watch You Tube reviews of Solus. :)

This will probably caused this post to be deleted but "Solus hasn't done anything. You have initiated the action and xfburn has burned the DVD, right ?" and blaming it on the computer or program is not very friendly. :(

kyrios

Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:17 am

Coastie wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:11 pm
This will probably caused this post to be deleted but "Solus hasn't done anything. You have initiated the action and xfburn has burned the DVD, right ?" and blaming it on the computer or program is not very friendly. :(
And immediately blaming Solus directly in the title (while it did not even run) is certainly not aggressive at all... honey catches more flies than vinegar ! ;)

Coastie

Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:27 am

I put the question mark at the end of the title not to sound "aggressive." Sorry it sounded "aggressive."

Return to “Installation”