CelticDude

Solus dual boot with another Linux

Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:17 am

Hello. I've been using Linux for the better part of a year, and just discovered Solus. As I distro-hop, using a laptop, I find I'm more looking for a cool yet useful desktop, and Budgie is it. It's close to my favorite so far. I then tried to dual boot with another fave, Bodhi Linux (Ubuntu-based).

With Solus installed, I then popped in the Bodhi flash, figuring it would recognize Solus and install alongside, creating an entry in Grub. It didn't recognize another OS, so my only option was to install Bodhi on the entire SSD. I figured I'd then install Solus, and it would figure out the dual boot. And it almost worked. Almost.

Solus did recognize Bodhi, and it did offer to install alongside. And then it did something really cool, which all installers should do. Rather than deciding for me how much disk space to take up, or make me jump thru partition hoops, it gave me a spinner to set how much space Solus would take, and giving the rest to Bodhi. Kudos for this feature. I finished the install, and did the obligatory reboot at the end. But no grub with choices; the laptop went straight into Bodhi.

I tried to update the Grub using the CLI, and it looked like it found Solus and created an entry, but another reboot still went to Bodhi. Using the BIOS I guessed my way into Solus, and tried to update the Grub there. Again it seemed to work, but still no grub on reboot. This time though it went straight to Solus.

So, what am I missing? Is there something in Solus I need to do, or something I can do in Bodhi? Clearly Solus works a bit differently, but I have to assume it's still possible to dual boot with it. Or at least I hope so.

Thanks,
CD

kyrios

Re: Solus dual boot with another Linux

Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:07 am

CelticDude wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:17 am
Hello. I've been using Linux for the better part of a year, and just discovered Solus. As I distro-hop, using a laptop, I find I'm more looking for a cool yet useful desktop, and Budgie is it. It's close to my favorite so far. I then tried to dual boot with another fave, Bodhi Linux (Ubuntu-based).

With Solus installed, I then popped in the Bodhi flash, figuring it would recognize Solus and install alongside, creating an entry in Grub. It didn't recognize another OS, so my only option was to install Bodhi on the entire SSD. I figured I'd then install Solus, and it would figure out the dual boot. And it almost worked. Almost.

Solus did recognize Bodhi, and it did offer to install alongside. And then it did something really cool, which all installers should do. Rather than deciding for me how much disk space to take up, or make me jump thru partition hoops, it gave me a spinner to set how much space Solus would take, and giving the rest to Bodhi. Kudos for this feature. I finished the install, and did the obligatory reboot at the end. But no grub with choices; the laptop went straight into Bodhi.

I tried to update the Grub using the CLI, and it looked like it found Solus and created an entry, but another reboot still went to Bodhi. Using the BIOS I guessed my way into Solus, and tried to update the Grub there. Again it seemed to work, but still no grub on reboot. This time though it went straight to Solus.

So, what am I missing? Is there something in Solus I need to do, or something I can do in Bodhi? Clearly Solus works a bit differently, but I have to assume it's still possible to dual boot with it. Or at least I hope so.

Thanks,
CD
You have a UEFI machine, right ?
Please read this

CelticDude

Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:48 am

Thanks for the links. Following it to another article, I ran the commands suggested (sudo clr-boot-manager set-timeout 5 && sudo clr-boot-manager update). It did what the article said it would; it shows the Solus boot loader, but only if I go into BIOS and manually choose Solus to boot first. The laptop will then boot into Solus on subsequent restarts, so I need to go into BIOS to choose the other OS.

BTW, in my fickle distro-hopping I installed Bluestar Linux alongside Solus. Easy install, it recognized Solus, but it did not include Solus in its boot loader.
Would something like grub customizer, or Rescatux, help?

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:54 am

CelticDude wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:48 am
Thanks for the links. Following it to another article, I ran the commands suggested (sudo clr-boot-manager set-timeout 5 && sudo clr-boot-manager update). It did what the article said it would; it shows the Solus boot loader, but only if I go into BIOS and manually choose Solus to boot first. The laptop will then boot into Solus on subsequent restarts, so I need to go into BIOS to choose the other OS.

BTW, in my fickle distro-hopping I installed Bluestar Linux alongside Solus. Easy install, it recognized Solus, but it did not include Solus in its boot loader.
Would something like grub customizer, or Rescatux, help?
Grub does not understand systemd-boot, so they don't show up in each others boot menu's. It also doesn't allow each OS to control and update its boot entry in the menu like multiple systemd-boot systems would.

Return to “Installation”