p.smith

Multiple custom installs

Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Hello,

I work in a school and have installed Solus 3 onto some of our old laptops for staff to use at home for remote access.
This has worked a treat bringing new life back into old hardware.

Rather than installing Solus individually, removing some apps, configuring desktop, installing and setting up the rdp client each time, is there an easier way to do this?

I thought of using something like symantec ghost to image the laptops then changing the hostname manually on the OS afterwards?
Are there any other options available to me?

Thank you.

Paul

kyrios

Re: Multiple custom installs

Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:29 pm

p.smith wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:55 pm
Hello,

I work in a school and have installed Solus 3 onto some of our old laptops for staff to use at home for remote access.
This has worked a treat bringing new life back into old hardware.

Rather than installing Solus individually, removing some apps, configuring desktop, installing and setting up the rdp client each time, is there an easier way to do this?

I thought of using something like symantec ghost to image the laptops then changing the hostname manually on the OS afterwards?
Are there any other options available to me?

Thank you.

Paul
If they have the same config and you can make a ghost & change the hostname, this is certainly the fastest way to go, especially if there are many laptops to reinstall.

An alternative, is to make a post-install script that copy config files, and run eopkg to install/remove what you want and to update the system and to put it on a usb stick or on a network share.

I never checked if there is a "silent mode" on the installer. Just try to run "os-installer-wrapper --help" from the live iso to see if it can take arguments (I feel too lazy to boot an iso & try, sorry)

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Re: Multiple custom installs

Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:55 am

Outside of using tools deploy an image on multiple machines (it doesn't yet have an OEM mode), you could only change the default packages via a custom ISO.

Return to “Installation”