ephebopus

Installer stranded after LVM? panel -> next

Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:15 pm

Hi,

I installed Solus 3 Budgie without major issues not long ago. Since then one of my two cats doused my machine in rather fine stout.

So now I've a new motherboard and RAM and GPU..the rest of the components appear to have survived.

Using the same three SSDs as prior the new mobo doesn't see the Linux Bootloader, only the Window one (was dual booting Win 10 with Solus, they each had a bootloader, wasn't using Grub, installed via the UEFI partition on the installation medium), so I thought I'd reinstall Solus on the same ssd.

Downloaded a new ISO, used Etcher on OS X El Capitan (an iMac) again to create the install medium (Corsair 8GB).

Booted via the UEFI partition on the installation medium again, onto Budgie Desktop, click Install OS to initiate the installation guide.

At the list of disks I select sdc which is the SSD I was running Solus on prior. Destroy everything and install Solus -> Next -> Advanced Disks Management pane, asking whether I'd like to use LVM, I don't -> Next ..Next button becomes greyed out and nothing else appears to happen.

Have tried: mounting all disks via the file explorer in Solus booted from the installation medium prior to starting the installation guide: no difference
Updated to the latest motherboard BIOS: no difference
Re-flashed the USB drive with a second downloaded ISO: no difference
Reformat the main (not swap) partition of sdc in gparted in Solus booted from the installation medium prior to starting the installation guide: no difference

Can I see a log or something of the installation guide process?

Many thanks for any pieces of advice.

ephebopus

Re: Installer stranded after LVM? panel -> next

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:42 pm

Right, after succesfully installing Ubuntu and then Solus the non bootloader way I found an article on how to remove bits of GRUB from windows EFI boot partition. In Win 10, assigned the small fat32 partition a drive letter with diskpart. In its EFI folder there were "systemd", "ubuntu", "solus com project-something" and "goofiboot" except "windows" and "boot". I removed the linux-related ones. After that, I could UEFI install Solus. (Trying to UEFI install it anew it stalled in the same place as prior.. if the "reuse mount points" instead of "e&i" option was chosen the installer said there wasn't enough space when trying to install the bootloader). I suppose I would summarize it as : "There may be issues UEFI-installing Solus if Solus was already installed in this fashion prior" although that might be an oversimplification on the scale of "mondays are bad".

Edit. Yesindeed.. saw some out of space errors indicating a certain EFI boot partition when installing packages. It was created by Windows 10 at 100MB and not intended to be shared I guess. No free space on that disk to grow the partition so I'll just wipe the disk and remove Win 10. I can always reinstall it at a later date.

Return to “Installation”