-Manu-

Third Party - Insync Bug with GoogleDocs

Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:58 am

Hello and excuse my bad english, i am from Germany.

This is my first install of Solus (2017.01.01.0) and i recognized a Bug with the third-party-package insync.

Insync is using local saved shortcuts for Google documents.

So, if you saved a spreadsheet for example it is stored local as:

filename.gdsheet

If your are opening this file, it is just a link to open the spreadsheet (or other document) with Google-Chrome using GoogleDocs.

For example, this files are containing the following syntax:

Code: Select all

{"url": "https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eHL82-vy5wjTZ3dUq3wknN5EsDmvHPZz5fBVsa2ccnQ/edit?usp=drivesdk", "file_id": "1eHL82-vy5wjTZ3dUq3wknN5EsDmvHPZz5fBVsa2ccnQ"}
But this doesn`t work in Solus (in other Distributions it is working out-of-the-box).

If you are trying to open a Google document, Solus just opens the text Editor containing the Link-Syntax of this file.
Opening the file directly with Chrome is just showing the same in the browser.

I dont know why Solus does not open this files (like other Distributions) with the Chrome browser and GoogleDocs

Regards

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Re: Third Party - Insync Bug with GoogleDocs

Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:19 pm

-Manu- wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:58 am
Hello and excuse my bad english, i am from Germany.

This is my first install of Solus (2017.01.01.0) and i recognized a Bug with the third-party-package insync.

Insync is using local saved shortcuts for Google documents.

So, if you saved a spreadsheet for example it is stored local as:

filename.gdsheet

If your are opening this file, it is just a link to open the spreadsheet (or other document) with Google-Chrome using GoogleDocs.

For example, this files are containing the following syntax:

{"url": "https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eHL82-vy5wjTZ3dUq3wknN5EsDmvHPZz5fBVsa2ccnQ/edit?usp=drivesdk", "file_id": "1eHL82-vy5wjTZ3dUq3wknN5EsDmvHPZz5fBVsa2ccnQ"}
But this doesn`t work in Solus (in other Distributions it is working out-of-the-box).

If you are trying to open a Google document, Solus just opens the text Editor containing the Link-Syntax of this file.
Opening the file directly with Chrome is just showing the same in the browser.

I dont know why Solus does not open this files (like other Distributions) with the Chrome browser and GoogleDocs

Regards
So to clarify, the file being that those few lines is correct?

But the issue is that it's not opening google docs in the browser

-Manu-

Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:41 pm

Hello and sorry for this late reply.

Yes, just those few lines.

And yes, it's not opening google docs in the browser.

If you try to open it per double-click, it just opens gedit/text editor.

If you try to open it per right-click and "open with other application" and choosing google chrome...it is the same thing as opening a local text file with your internet browser.

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:53 am

-Manu- wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:41 pm
Hello and sorry for this late reply.

Yes, just those few lines.

And yes, it's not opening google docs in the browser.

If you try to open it per double-click, it just opens gedit/text editor.

If you try to open it per right-click and "open with other application" and choosing google chrome...it is the same thing as opening a local text file with your internet browser.
I'm not sure whether it's a bug with insync, or whatever is using to open the files isn't present. Do you have the google docs chrome app/extensions installed? I would assume that is most likely to know how to deal with google doc files.

jgawlik

Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:42 pm

use open with another application > View All Applications > Insync helper

Return to “Development”