darshandsoni

Touchpad disabling too easy

Fri May 19, 2017 4:41 am

This is more of a style issue on Budgie Desktop but I thought I'd bring it up.

A new user mentioned to me that he was attempting to change touchpad settings because of erratic behaviour. His first point was the Settings window -> Mouse and Touchpad:

He double clicked on it instead of single click. The first click enters the touchpad settings. With the cursor being held in the same location, it turns out this is directly on the kill switch for the touchpad:

As a result, his touchpad got disabled, and he fumbled around for keyboard shortcuts to correct the issue. Not finding any, he got an external mouse to fix the issue finally. As a new user, that may be an awful pitfall to fall into!

I have a feeling that the settings window is forked straight from GNOME and so they may be hostile to change there (not sure if I'm right there?). With Budgie now being written into Qt, I'm wondering if that's something that could be fixed along the way?

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Re: Touchpad disabling too easy

Sat May 20, 2017 12:14 am

darshandsoni wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 4:41 am
I have a feeling that the settings window is forked straight from GNOME and so they may be hostile to change there (not sure if I'm right there?). With Budgie now being written into Qt, I'm wondering if that's something that could be fixed along the way?
There is no fork, it is gnome-settings...even with budgie, it has a warning when you try to remove the last panel...it still happens (apparently unintentionally...)

Return to “Development”