kodo

AppImage all the things

Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:59 am

Would be cool if instead of having a normal packaging process, the standard build workflow was just building an AppImage. Solus could even host a repo of apps that have been "ported". Would benefit the entire linux community. Would be cool to see some automated tooling around the process. Would make people use solus just for the AppImage build benefits. I think the era of distro based packages is over, or at least I hope to god it ends soon.

gimcrack

Re: AppImage all the things

Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:49 pm

It's going to happen, I can smell it in the air. Not sure AppImage or even Snaps will will this war. I would say flatpak is going to win in the long run. Unless something comes up better then flatpak. But, the future of package managers is going to disappear. It will just take time for it. To me it doesn't matter. I'll get the package one way or another. But, making it easier would be cool also.

kodo

Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:44 am

Yeah I looked into the snap/flatpak/appimage thing some more. looks like appimage kinda sucks because you end up repacking the same lib over and over again rather than sharing libs you already have installed. snap is nice because it's easy to use and build for. i want to like flatpak but can't make myself.

rtyb

Sat May 05, 2018 1:44 am

I'm rooting for snaps over flatpaks myself, but still either one will be a huge improvement.
Win10 64-bit
Solus 3 64-bit

kyrios

Sat May 05, 2018 7:55 am

rtyb wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 1:44 am
I'm rooting for snaps over flatpaks myself, but still either one will be a huge improvement.
They are both available on Solus (command line only for now). Flatpak will most likely be integrated in the new version of the Software Center. Snaps will follow but later.

mahmutelmas06

Tue May 08, 2018 8:46 pm

I would post excatly the same idea but for flatpack.

There should be not a eopkgs or debs or whatever.. Thats why windows always win the war.

I think flatpack should be only package in solus which could take more attantion. Because no need to rediscover the world again and cant win against .exe, deb or apks.

Return to “Packaging”