keefir

Issue with full screen shortcut

Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:28 pm

I recently installed Budgie on an Arch Linux system to replace i3 window manager. Ability to manage windows with keyboard is great on Budgie but I've been having issues with the shortcut that sets the focused window to full screen on a two monitor setup. When I press the shortcut, screens turn blank for a second, my display arrangement is reset and nothing is set to full screen. After that the full screen shortcut stops doing anything altogether.

Here's the funny thing: this only happens every other booting. When I restart the computer, the shortcut works fine. Another restart and it crashes again as described. Restart again and it works. And so forth. Logging out makes no difference.

What could be going on? I'm really enjoying Budgie but not being able to full screen windows is a deal breaker for me.

keefir

Re: Issue with full screen shortcut

Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:20 pm

The shortcut happened to be Super+p. Looks like this is some hidden Gnome keybinding that unexpectedly attempts to switch monitors (and miserably fails in my case). I think I managed so solve my problem by turning it off in dconf-editor:

Code: Select all

/org/gnome/mutter/keybindings/switch-monitor

Still, I think keyboard shortcuts in Gnome Control Center (which I assume is also default in Solus) should not be randomly overridden by some hidden and "hard coded" Gnome bindings.

EDIT. Turns out the reason this happens is a design flaw in Gnome.

Return to “Packaging”