user_14b

installing software with WINE

Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:40 pm

how do you install or run a small windows software on solus? I am a new user of linux, please please, state the steps clearly.
Thank you.

kyrios

Re: installing software with WINE

Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:56 pm

user_14b wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:40 pm
how do you install or run a small windows software on solus? I am a new user of linux, please please, state the steps clearly.
Thank you.
The easiest is to use playonlinux, it's on the repository and the manual is available here

If you absolutely want to install wine, I'd suggest to also install wine-32bit, it will make your life a little easier.
You might eventually also have a look at these Winetricks and q4wine to help using wine.

To start, the best is probably to google these names with tutorial on google (eventually also filter on the date to only take the results that are less than a year to avoid looking at outdated stuffs. This will give you a first oversight. :)

Justin
Development Team

Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:12 am

You can also try lutris which is available in Solus Software Center.

wmcig

Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:43 am

Lutris is like WINE? You can use software like in WINE? Or is this only a gaming platform?

techieg33k

Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:13 am

I went through some of this as I just installed Solus and am trying to get some Windows games to work under Linux. I found that PlayOnLinux (install it from the Software center as suggested) is really the easiest way to get things installed and it includes Applications and games both. Lutris as I have seen is just for games and personally I found it a bit tricky to use, but that might just be because I needed to setup an account and use the web page along with the app on Solus.
PlayOnLinux and Lutris are just frontends (kind of) that are designed to make it easier to install Applications (games, programs, etc.) into a WINE container. They all use WINE to run the Windows App in.

Using the Software Center you might want to install the following and then open PlayOnLinux (aka POL) and search for the Windows apps you want to install):

wine
q4wine
winetricks
wine-32bit
PlayOnLinux
Lutris (if anything you want from Windows-only is a game)

If you can't find the applications you want listed to easy install via POL or have trouble searching for them and getting results in Google please post them here any maybe someone can get you going in the right direction.

Return to “Packaging”