cameralibre

Open filetype with default application, not last application

Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:03 pm

I love using Budgie desktop, but there's one issue which I can't work out how to solve, and it's incredibly frustrating: setting default applications.

I make animations, and work a lot with image files - so that means that I sometimes want to open a png with GIMP, sometimes with Image Viewer. Or sometimes I want to open a PDF with Inkscape, sometimes with Okular.
I find it very confusing that Budgie always opens a filetype with the program I last used to open it - I can't necessarily remember if that was GIMP, Inkscape, Okular or Image Viewer... so although in Budgie Settings I have Image Viewer set as the default for image files, I always find myself accidentally opening a file in GIMP when I just want to look at it.

What would be much more intuitive for me is if it worked like in Dolphin, Pantheon-Files, Nautilus etc... that I could set PNG files to open with Image Viewer, and then if I want to open it with GIMP, I can right-click and 'open with other application', just that one time.
The next time I just double click on a PNG, it should open in Image Viewer, because that is the default. Not GIMP.
I'm using the example of PNG but the same happens with FLAC, SVG, etc. Most files I need to open in different applications at different times.

Am I doing something wrong in the way that I am setting defaults?

duckjcv

Re: Open filetype with default application, not last application

Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:20 pm

I agree with your comment. It would be better if the file is opened with the default application and not the last application used to open that file.

kyrios

Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:31 pm

FWIW, I made a quick test on MATE and Budgie: I set Eye of MATE/Gnome in the preferred applications for viewing images then I did right-click a .png file to open it with Firefox. Next time I do open the same image either by double-clicking it or right-click -> Open With (default application), the image was opened with Eye of MATE/Gnome.

This is the place were the default application can be set on both desktop environments

duckjcv

Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:13 pm

It is true, now I have tried it and it happens as you say.

But before it did not happen like that, it happened as commented by cameralibre.

I do not know when this has changed, maybe in some recent system update.

But now it's fine.

cameralibre

Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:00 pm

OK - I figured it out. Thanks for checking it out for me, kyrios.

Sorry, I had chosen a poor example - it does indeed work as you say, for Images - that is, PNGs, JPGs, and SVGs.

However, the problem occurs with filetypes that are not covered by the Budgie 'Default Applications' Settings. For example, PDF.

See this video for reference: https://cloud.cameralibre.cc/s/7t0ajqKuIuoUJWE

1. Inkscape is the current default application for PDFs
2. I open the PDF by right-clicking and choosing 'Document Viewer' from the 'other application list'
3. Document Viewer is now the default for PDFs
4. Double-clicking opens the file in Document viewer.
5. I open the file with Inkscape.
6. Inkscape is now the default
7. Double-clicking opens it in Inkscape.

So, the current situation is frustrating to me:

- I want to set a default for PDFs (Document Viewer) and have it stay default.
- I want to set a default for SVGs (Inkscape) but because SVGs are an Image file, they are opened in Image Viewer. (Which is what I want to open JPGs and PNGs with)

NOTE: FLAC & WAV audio files also have the last-used app as the default. Any other files which aren't covered in the Budgie Default settings (like Synfig or Kdenlive files, which I sometimes open in a text editor) also switch defaults based on the last used.

Return to “Ideas”