bjarkeck

Start Menu Improvements for Budgie

Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:35 pm

First time Linux user here, and boy does Solus feel good compared to windows. Much more clean and to the point! But forgive me for saying stupid shit :D or sharing my feedback the wrong place.
  • The Start Menu should work both search files, software and be a calculator. ->
    I've noised that are search settings built in to the settings panel. Would be lovely if those applied to the start menu! Right now I'm unsure where they are even used?
  • Don't remove focus from the search field until the window is closed. ->
    When start a search and press arrow-down to navigate the search result, I can no longer continue typing in the search field. I need to grab my mouse and click the search field to search again.
  • Pressing the Start / Super key to fire up the start menu, should always just work. ->
    Often when dialogs open, that asks me to verify stuff or enter in my password etc, it swallows the keyboard start button input, and prevents me from opening using the shortcut key. I'm then forced to use the mouse if I want to open the start menu.
  • Right clicking things should do stuff -_-
    Let me right-click the start menu itself to open up Budgie Desktop Settings, Let me right click a menu item to locate the file, create a shortcut to the desktop, maybe add an uninstall option if possible, let me view properties etc.
  • Run the start menu on a different thread or something? ->
    Often when an application shits itself, it also shits the start menu, and I have to wait for that application to do whatever it's doing before the start menu pops up.
If this sort of feedback is valuable please do say. I can keep on going forever.

Nobody11211

Re: Start Menu Improvements for Budgie

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:56 pm

bjarkeck wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:35 pm
First time Linux user here, and boy does Solus feel good compared to windows. Much more clean and to the point! But forgive me for saying stupid shit :D or sharing my feedback the wrong place.
  • The Start Menu should work both search files, software and be a calculator. ->
    I've noised that are search settings built in to the settings panel. Would be lovely if those applied to the start menu! Right now I'm unsure where they are even used?
  • Don't remove focus from the search field until the window is closed. ->
    When start a search and press arrow-down to navigate the search result, I can no longer continue typing in the search field. I need to grab my mouse and click the search field to search again.
  • Pressing the Start / Super key to fire up the start menu, should always just work. ->
    Often when dialogs open, that asks me to verify stuff or enter in my password etc, it swallows the keyboard start button input, and prevents me from opening using the shortcut key. I'm then forced to use the mouse if I want to open the start menu.
  • Right clicking things should do stuff -_-
    Let me right-click the start menu itself to open up Budgie Desktop Settings, Let me right click a menu item to locate the file, create a shortcut to the desktop, maybe add an uninstall option if possible, let me view properties etc.
  • Run the start menu on a different thread or something? ->
    Often when an application shits itself, it also shits the start menu, and I have to wait for that application to do whatever it's doing before the start menu pops up.
If this sort of feedback is valuable please do say. I can keep on going forever.
"There are no good or bad questions. Only questions" :mrgreen: (Kung Fu Panda)

1) They use the brisk menu (a fork of it). Not sure if they can do this without making Budgie consume more resources. I personally like this minimalistic view of the window manager and I would rather go for a special addon/plugin that can be added on near the brisk menu (for exemplu) that could allow you to search for the files you have in your pc. About the calculator... never used one in any menu :))

2) This is possible by pressing twice shift+tab. Not something comfy I must say. Here I agree with you and a simpler could be offered.

4) Get your point. But I cannot answer you as I do not have the necessary experience/knowledge :). But I like your point. However, use in terminal sudo killall name of the application to immediately kill an app that does not run well so that you will not wait that much for a reaction.

Everyone is happy to see feedback/new ideas :). That is why I also love the community here.

Cheers.

kyrios

Re: Start Menu Improvements for Budgie

Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:01 am

The Brisk menu is not a fork of Budgie menu, it's a menu applet developed especially for MATE

Return to “Ideas”