drekbour

Apps initiated multiple times by multiple clicks in panel

Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:49 pm

Watching a five year old is great way of getting feedback on how intuitive a UI is.

When you click FF in Budgie panel, it takes a while to come up and doesn't show any kind of "in progress". User (5yo attention span!) then clicks dozens of times and eventually gets dozens of FFs.

Some heavy apps appear to have their own run-once defense (e.g. LibreOffice) but not this one (and it's not really something to assume). It's also inconsistent with what multiple clicks do once the app is started.

Fully understand the issue here is with interpreting "app is started" from user perspective vs system perspective.

thoughts?

vince1989

Re: Apps initiated multiple times by multiple clicks in panel

Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:36 am

Right clicking would prompt you with the option to open a new window. I think that multiple clicks on the same app would make switching in and out to that app quite difficult.

drekbour

Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:36 pm

To be clear, I want a click to open the app. Whilst opening, clicks do nothing (not multiple apps). Once running, further clicks switch in and out as today.

kyrios

Tue May 01, 2018 9:55 am

But this behavior would be a problem for people who want need to open multiple instances of an application.
It's up to the application to control that.

TOVOT

Wed May 02, 2018 5:24 am

drekbour wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:49 pm
Thoughts?
Are you proposing to put a start image (like LibreOffice logo start), which signals the loading of the program? Because if that's what you mean, it does not depend on the desktop, but on the developers of every single program (just as the operation of Solus is not determined by every single PC that installed it). Although I believe it is possible an indicator announcing the loading, on the taskbar. ;)
Alla democrazia preferisco l'anarchia. Il governo ruba sempre.

drekbour

Thu May 03, 2018 8:29 am

kyrios wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 9:55 am
But this behavior would be a problem for people who want need to open multiple instances of an application.
It's up to the application to control that.
I doubt most apps think about that. Sure, the heavyweight ones with charming-in-a-90s-way splash screens tend to handle their own run-once behaviour but nothing else does. I posit it is actually up to the DE in the majority of cases.

I note some apps (e.g. Terminal) don't actually provide a "New Window" entry in the panel at all so the behaviour is yet more divergent.

Proposal: enable the unused middle-click as "Open new" and left-click as "run-once or switch"

Update: checked Win 7 pinning and it suffers the same multi-run problem :)

Return to “Ideas”