Przemas

Undecorate maximized windows in Budgie

Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:46 pm

I work a lot in 3d app and other programs that require A LOT of screen space - every pixel counts. Thus I come to despise titlebars on maximized windows as they are such space wasters - so much space just to display 3 icons and a title :D .
It is one of the options that I always enable on my linux installs (either through settings panel - for example in Xfce, or through applet - like maximus in Cinnamon).
It is one of the features I sorely miss in Budgie - I'd love to see it , no matter as an applet or setting. Basically any clever way to get rid of titlebars on maximized windows are welcome (or something that would make this space useul - for example global menus, moving the titlebar icons to main bar etc).

o-alquimista

Re: Undecorate maximized windows in Budgie

Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:08 pm

Few months ago I suggested this:
tmp_12830-Solus-design-2-558597313.png
tmp_12830-Solus-design-2-558597313.png (54.74 KiB) Viewed 2247 times
They didn't like it. Of course, in my head it would look better.
ULTIMATE DISTRO HOPPER, MASTER OF PROCRASTINATION

Przemas

Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:15 pm

Glad to see I'm not the only one that sees titlebars as an issue :) (one of the reasons I enjoy GTK - they are trying to turn those into something actually useful). Getting rid of titlebars on maximize windows is one of the first things I do on my Gnome / Cinnamon / Xfce installs.
But I get it that Budgie devs may be hesitant to the idea as they have to take a whole of the UI design goals into consideration - otherwise we could end up in working, but somewhat rag-tag , kitbash-looking interface like some of the other de-s.
I've did a quick tweak in Krita of your proposal - moved the window title and buttons to the centre, leaving all the other stuff on the main bar intact. This potentially could work better design wise - considering raven sidebar placement to the right. Also such applet could incorporate some funky horizontal roll effects when switching (alt+tab) between windows. Just a thought:

But for me even an advanced option to simply undecorate maximized windows would do the trick.

At this point, after playing with Solus on my laptop I'm leaning towards MATE version (if it won't cause problems on my main workstation - live usb behaved a tad funky) - even though I prefer uncluttered, more straightfoward design on Budgie (and overall look and feel).
With Compiz tweaks added to the mix MATE allows me to achieve better use of screen space. But would switch to Budgie in a heartbeat if I could do it there :) .

Hark_

Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:25 pm

+1

I would personally really appreciate such a feature as well. I love beautiful UIs but I hate unnecessary redundancies. The extra space of the title bar in maximized apps really feels like that sometimes. Currently I'm running HTitle on my Firefox in my Solus installation and wish something similar would happen with every other app. (Definitely check out Australis Slimmr if you like a minimal UI in Firefox)

I really appreciate the two mockups that have been put together but don't like the way either of them look. I would personally just put a drop down menu in the system tray that gives you what the window decorations do.

Definitely would be a very appreciated feature if someone could make the UI/UX right in Budgie.

joshuarobison

Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:12 am

Yes, please implement this feature. I've been scouring the web trying to find a hack that does this.

joshuarobison

Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:52 am

Found a kind of solution. I've built it but need to restart to check if the applet installed correctly. This could help some one.

https://github.com/ilgarmehmetali/budgi ... ver-applet

Craig-toyoracer

Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:20 am

I as well think the title bar is wasted space. I have found when using Firefox, selecting Full Screen from the Firefox menu does not use the Title bar but if you use the Maximize button it does. :)

sondya.boberg

Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:39 am

Why stop at maximized windows? Give the UI a Windows treatment.

That is, remove the title entirely, and move the minimize, maximize, and close buttons to the top of the interface, like HTitle does for Firefox.
Computer: Dell Inspiron 3250
CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 @ 3.30 GHz, RAM: 8 GB, GPU: Intel(R) HD Graphics 530, HDD: 1 TB

Craig-toyoracer

Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:45 am

Just looked up HTitle and it is Discontinued in Firefox 57

joshuarobison

Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:47 am

The applet I posted worked!
I had to copy the installed applet to the correct folder but it works. Titlebars hidden on maximize for all non CDC apps.

Return to “Ideas”