howdous

Keyboard shortcuts Control A C V

Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:29 am

Good day,

I have tried various flavors of Linux and with all of them I cannot use Control A C V.

I am now trying Solus and having the exact same issue. If I can fix this, Solus will be my preferred Linux distro.

Any idea how I can add Control A C & V keyboard shortcuts?

Portreve

Re: Keyboard shortcuts

Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:57 pm

I like how Budgie has Mac OS and Mac OS X-originating file navigation keyboard shortcuts:

[ CTRL ] + [ I ] = Properties (i.e. "Get Info...") on a selected file or folder.

[ ALT ] + [ UP ARROW ] = Go up a directory level.

[ ALT ] + [ DOWN ARROW ] = Go (down) into a selected folder (or) Open the selected file.

[ CTRL ] + [ N ] = Open a new file manager window.

[ CTRL ] + [ SHIFT ] + [ N ] = Create a new folder.

I do wish this was more expressly and formally documented.

All of that, coupled with making the default keyboard layout "English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)", really gives one (it certainly gives me) the best of both worlds. And, in any event, this definitely leaves Windows way behind.

Portreve

Re: Keyboard shortcuts Control A C V

Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:02 pm

howdous wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:29 am
Good day,

I have tried various flavors of Linux and with all of them I cannot use Control A C V.

I am now trying Solus and having the exact same issue. If I can fix this, Solus will be my preferred Linux distro.

Any idea how I can add Control A C & V keyboard shortcuts?
They work fine here on my box.

zearo

Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:24 pm

Hello, this is my first post and I'm an excited Solus newbie.
I wonder why I can't change in a file manager window to the parent directory of the displayed directory by any shortcut. I expected to getb there with the "back" button like in other distros or in windows. CTRL + up-arrow like in macOS would also be ok to but none of both does anything.

How can this be achieved?

subrms

Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:36 pm

Justin wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:10 am
It comes with defaults already set. We have them already for opening the Menu, changing workspace etc. What other function do you want shortcut keys added for?
for instance : super+D to show the desktop
a shortcut to open raven or notifications ? =)

*edit : i tried the super+N and super+A for notifications and Raven and it's works ^^'
Computer : ThinkPad T440
DE : Budgie
Kernel: 4.14.15-48.current
CPU: Intel i5-4300U (4) @ 2.900GHz
Memory: 3704MiB

Brandywine

Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:16 pm

There is a notable feature of Unity, so simple yet so great.

If you press and keep pressed the super key an overlay with a recap of the keyboard shortcuts shows up.

This simple option achieve many things:

:arrow: let you learn quicker the shortcuts
:arrow: it's a friendly gesture towards newbie
:arrow: improve usability
:arrow: demonstrate attention to details

I think it can be a great addition to budgie and fuse perfectly with the philosophy of solus.

What do you think?

bjarkeck

Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:38 pm

Justin wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:10 am
You can set these in keyboard options....
How would I go about making "Super + 1..9" open up the applications from the main panel?

ddddddj

Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:39 am

rehboot wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:25 am
Like the title said, keyboard shortcuts (a la Ubuntu) would be really nice (super+w, super+space, super+"1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0" for fav shortcuts, etc etc)

Just throwing this here, I know a lot of people use those feature and it could bring more people to Solus and Budgie DE

It would be great if Solus and Budgie DE could unify the messing keyboards shortcuts for GTK based applications.

The current keyboard shortcuts for GTK based applications are messed with Ctl or Super or Alt based bindings. Some shortcuts are even too hard to reach with fingers conveniently, which is beyond the goal of shortcut. Unifying these varying shortcuts would better user experience heavily, e.g. implementing only Super key based and easily reachable shortcuts. The similar experience is implemented under macOS, which provides consistent experience on shortcuts across applications.

The Super key based shortcuts have several additional advantages:

1. Super key is closer to the center of keyboard than Ctl key on most of keyboards. It's more convenient to reach Super based shortcuts across the keyboard using one's thumb without moving the hands away the center of the keyboard, that's what shortcuts should deliver.

2. Super key based copy/paste shortcuts solve longstanding confusions of Ctrl based copy/paste shortcuts between applications. There's no consistent shortcuts for copy/paste under GTK based DE. It will be very clear and convenient to users if all applications use same copy/paste shortcuts.

Return to “Ideas”