rene_lnx

Software center suggestions

Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:53 pm

Hi,

I've found the recent updates to the software center improved the overall experience so far, though I like to make some suggestions to help the inexperienced users understand the nuts and bolts of solus/linux in general.

1. Differentiate library packages from application packages:
Similar to the third party application, though being an installed packages category with 2 tabs, one for apps and the other for libs.
It's not easy for the inexperienced user to understand what is vital to the system from what is not, nor is it to know what is included and for what use.

2. Add a dependency viewer for installed apps / libs.
It would be nice if the sofware center would let us display the library dependencies of apps package, and vice versa.
It would be useful when optimizing the necessary apps for the system to run fine and lightweight.

3. If a software update is vital to the system (kernel, linux-lts, driver, etc.) propose a restart.
I've found myself in too many situations where a vital component was updating and while I've continued to use the system and it would either freeze
or its icons would disappear or the monitors would just go blank then I'd force restart and I would cross my fingers not having to reinstall solus again...

4. Make the software center as reliable as command line.
For some reason, installing/updating software packages is faster using eopkg as root then it would be using the software center.
In the example of third party packages, the install is nearly instant with eopkg and often goes in infinite loop with software center
It's almost as if you have a while loop in there... to the point where I'd just close the software center, then dive in console and install using the commands.

That's about what I have in mind so far, I love solus and I'd like it to be more robust, to become an industry standard like centos/debian/ubuntu.
Thanks for taking the time reading this long post. Have a great week ahead.

R

Justin
Development Team

Re: Software center suggestions

Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:40 am

Suggestions for Software Centre can be reported on GitHub

rene_lnx

Re: Software center suggestions

Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:44 am

Justin wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:40 am
Suggestions for Software Centre can be reported on GitHub