lefo1959

Canon CanoScan 9000F-Calibration Needed

Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:37 pm

Hi. After searching the forums and trying to figure things out in Google; I'm stumped. I have a Canon 9000F Scanner, and it scans using Simple Scan. But, the colors are off. Red looks almost like brown, and blues are pretty muddied up, too. So, I installed and tried to use the tool "Color". It shows the Printer and Monitor being used, but the Scanner is not calibrated. When I try to use it, it basically says it can't find a file (?) and I get nowhere. I'm going to admit right now that I don't know what I'm doing, and I don't want to make things work.

Does anyone know how to calibrate in Solus? I could definitely use the help. I don't want to use VirtualBox/Windows 8.1 to scan. ;) Also, I'm using an Acer 7550 Laptop with 8GB RAM. FWIW, the printer is a Canon iP6700D. It can use some help in printing, too. If I can't find an answer for the really muddied print quality for this I'll post another question.

Thanks!!!

Len

kyrios

Re: Canon CanoScan 9000F-Calibration Needed

Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:55 pm

lefo1959 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:37 pm
Hi. After searching the forums and trying to figure things out in Google; I'm stumped. I have a Canon 9000F Scanner, and it scans using Simple Scan. But, the colors are off. Red looks almost like brown, and blues are pretty muddied up, too. So, I installed and tried to use the tool "Color". It shows the Printer and Monitor being used, but the Scanner is not calibrated. When I try to use it, it basically says it can't find a file (?) and I get nowhere. I'm going to admit right now that I don't know what I'm doing, and I don't want to make things work.

Does anyone know how to calibrate in Solus? I could definitely use the help. I don't want to use VirtualBox/Windows 8.1 to scan. ;) Also, I'm using an Acer 7550 Laptop with 8GB RAM. FWIW, the printer is a Canon iP6700D. It can use some help in printing, too. If I can't find an answer for the really muddied print quality for this I'll post another question.

Thanks!!!

Len
On this page there are some ICC profiles for your scanner model : http://meshfields.de/install-canoscan-9 ... -profiles/

lefo1959

Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:23 pm

Thank you, Kyrios! I've downloaded the profiles, and I'll try to get this installed later tonight and let you know how it works out.

Len

lefo1959

Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:44 am

I have some bad news, and I have some good news.

First, the bad news: The instructions posted on the page referenced above won't work in Solus for me. I figure I'm doing something wrong. I really liked the Canon scanner, but...

The good news! I also have an HP Envy 5642 that does a pretty good job of scanning with hplip right out of the box. I'm going to see what I can do to tweak in GIMP if I need to, but it's much better than the Canon. Printing with the HP is amazing! The Canon printer I have looks like I dragged the image through mud. The HP looks even better than my monitor!!!

So, now it'll just be a matter for me to learn more about hplip and get the scan better. It's not bad, but it's not quite right, either.

Thanks for the tip, though! I'm learning a lot more about this than I had taken for granted in the past.

kyrios

Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:01 am

Yeah sorry for not being more helpful but I don't own a scanner so I am not the best person to help troubleshooting such problems.
HP printers and scanners are very well supported.

Return to “Hardware”