jcsolus

Solus OS 3 Bungie - MacBook 2008 Core 2 Duo 3gb Ram (system hang)

Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:44 pm

Hi all,

I deleted Mac OSX and installed Solus 3 Bungie on a MacBook 2008 Core 2 Duo with 3gb Ram, 160gb HDD (not SSD). I was able to get everything working fine - however, it seems to hang every now and again. For example, if i open an application, the system will freeze for a number of seconds until it opens. Sometimes longer.

I thought this was really weird, so i tried a few other distros live off USB and they seemed ok.

Anyone have any solutions to this?

Also, watching some online videos seems to be a bit choppy and slow at times.

Thanks in advance!
Justin

Portreve

Re: Solus OS 3 Bungie - MacBook 2008 Core 2 Duo 3gb Ram (system hang)

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:57 pm

Well, I don't have quite your hardware, but I'm running Solus/Budgie on a 2011 MacBook Pro 13" i7 2.7GHz. I have 10 GB of RAM in it and I changed out the HDD for an SSD. I'm also running an external 23" monitor on it, and actually I've found Solus with Budgie to be easily the smoothest-running distro I've tried thus far.

Previously, I was using LinuxMint/Cinnamon, and that was fine until I connected the external display. Because I don't have a dedicated graphics card, it was giving it fits. My observation is that it's a combination of LinuxMint itself and the way they've configured Cinnamon, because all performance issues disappeared when I installed Solus.

The two biggest things you can do for your laptop is to put more RAM in it and to switch over to an SSD. I cannot overstate the difference between that and running off a conventional disk.

Bim2017

Re: Solus OS 3 Bungie - MacBook 2008 Core 2 Duo 3gb Ram (system hang)

Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:17 pm

This sounds as though this may be a swap drive allocation issue. I have changed mine on the MacBookPro as per Joe Collins YouTube video, and this problem disappeared.
cpu AMD 8370 8 core 4 gHz
32 gig memory
rx 460 4 gHz gpu

Return to “Hardware”