Etamuk

Printers not available when offline

Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:02 pm

I am using two printers in my office. A HP Color LaserJet Pro 252 dw and a Canon MX 925. Both are connected via WLAN. When the printers are not switched on i cannot send print jobs to them. This would be helpful so that i could print different documents and when i need them i can switch on the printer.
Can i make the printers always visible in system settings? When the printers are available Solus always add them as a new printer.

Using Solus Budgie (system is uptodate)

GreenMartian

Re: Printers not available when offline

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:28 am

Sure, you can manually add both printers in Solus.

Right now, the auto printer find always initiates at boot. I'm not aware of a way to disable that check, although it may be possible or will be possible in the future. Think I've seen a bug report on that over in the Dev channel.

Turn both printers on so that they're exposed to the WAN. In Solus Budgie, go to the menu and select "printers". Once there, "unlock" and then hit the green "add" icon on the top right. After a couple of seconds, your printer should be auto recognized. Follow the remaining setup prompts.

Once your done, you can also fine tune and set the default printer.

GM

BradHeff

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:36 pm

Just a note, i needed to install hplip in the software center for my printer (HP Officejet 2620) to be found in the printers driver selection window when i added my printer. You might need to do the same for your HP Laserjet printer if you cant find your printer in the list when adding it.

Etamuk

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:40 pm

Thank you both.
The drivers are found correctly in the available list. The only thing is that they are gone when the printers are turned off. Also they are added as new printer when they are turned on again.

GreenMartian

Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:45 am

Etamuk,

What you're looking for is called "queue". The printer software is always "on", then when you turn your printer on, the "queue" will then print.

I don't use it, but I'm sure it's possible.

Go to Menu>Print Settings>Server>Settings>Advanced Server Settings...then, perhaps you can experiment with the option of "Preserve Job Files"?

Return to “Hardware”