bsbxl

WWAN card and smart card reader not detected

Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:07 pm

I have Solus 3 Budgie installed on my new Lenovo ThinkPad T470 (in dual boot with Manjaro i3). Everything seems to work fine except for two things:

First, The T470 has a FIBOCOM L831-EAU WWAN card for wireless 4G internet access. Solus does not seem to detect this card, not in the Network settings nor in the network tab on the Budgie panel (Manjaro does, so the card is correctly functioning). What can I do to make Solus detect this card?

Secondly, The T470 has a smart card reader installed that is not detected by Solus. Same question, what can I do to make Solus detect this card reader? I also have an external card reader (via USB) that isn't recognized either. I intend to use the card reader with the Belgian e-gov application eid (that is available in the Solus repository). This application indicates 'no cardreader found'.

Thanks.

kyrios

Re: WWAN card and smart card reader not detected

Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:33 pm

You have to install the drivers for your card reader.
You need either ccid or asccid
You also need pcsc-lite.

bsbxl

Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:10 pm

Thank you for your reply. I installed the 3 items you suggested in different combinations (ccid+acsccid+pcsc-lite, ccid+pcsc-lite and acsccid+pcsc-lite) via the software center but the cardreader wass still not recognized...

kyrios

Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:06 am

bsbxl wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:10 pm
Thank you for your reply. I installed the 3 items you suggested in different combinations (ccid+acsccid+pcsc-lite, ccid+pcsc-lite and acsccid+pcsc-lite) via the software center but the cardreader wass still not recognized...
  • install ccid or acsccid : these are the drivers you need one of these depending on your card reader model (you shouldn't install them both).
  • install pcsc-lite : this is the middleware
  • install install eid-mw
  • open a terminal and run pcscd to manually launch the daemon (leave the terminal open)
  • launch eid-viewer and your should be able to read your Belgian id data

bsbxl

Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:23 am

This is what I did this morning:

I uninstalled ccid, acsccid, pcsc-lite and eid-mw and rebooted the computer. Then I installed ccid, pcsc-lite and eid-mw again and rebooted. Ran pcscd in a terminal and started eid-mw: still no card reader found. So, ccid doesn´t seem to be the correct driver.

Again I uninstalled ccid, pcsc-lite and eid-mw and rebooted. Then I installed acsccid, pcsc-lite and eid-mw. Rebooted again and I ran pcscd in a terminal. Launched eid-mw and inserted my electronic ID but still no card reader was found.

In both instances the external card reader wasn´t found either.

kyrios

Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:48 am

bsbxl wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:23 am
This is what I did this morning:

I uninstalled ccid, acsccid, pcsc-lite and eid-mw and rebooted the computer. Then I installed ccid, pcsc-lite and eid-mw again and rebooted. Ran pcscd in a terminal and started eid-mw: still no card reader found. So, ccid doesn´t seem to be the correct driver.

Again I uninstalled ccid, pcsc-lite and eid-mw and rebooted. Then I installed acsccid, pcsc-lite and eid-mw. Rebooted again and I ran pcscd in a terminal. Launched eid-mw and inserted my electronic ID but still no card reader was found.

In both instances the external card reader wasn´t found either.
Okay, my mistake. Try to run sudo pcscd instead of pcscd in the terminal.

If it still shouldn't work, could you let me know what is your card reader model and what is the output of lsusb ?
Also, you may install pcsc-tools then run pcsc_scan to test your card reader (make sure sudo pcscd was properly executed first).

Merry X-Mas !

bsbxl

Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:29 pm

Kyrios, first of all, thank you very much for helping me out and a I wish you Merry X-mass!

Thanks to your last reply I got the smartcard reader working! The output from lsusb indicated an Alcor Micro Corp. AU9540 smartcard reader installed in the T470. The winning combination was ccid + pcsc-lte + eid-mw and running pcscd with sudo.

How can I make sure pcscd runs everytime I start Solus? Should I just add it to the Autostart in the Budgie Settings?

Now that the smartcard reader problem is solved, anybody an idea how to get the FIBOCOM WWAN working? Thanks.

kyrios

Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:37 pm

bsbxl wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:29 pm
Kyrios, first of all, thank you very much for helping me out and a I wish you Merry X-mass!

Thanks to your last reply I got the smartcard reader working! The output from lsusb indicated an Alcor Micro Corp. AU9540 smartcard reader installed in the T470. The winning combination was ccid + pcsc-lte + eid-mw and running pcscd with sudo.

How can I make sure pcscd runs everytime I start Solus? Should I just add it to the Autostart in the Budgie Settings?

Now that the smartcard reader problem is solved, anybody an idea how to get the FIBOCOM WWAN working? Thanks.

Good to hear it's working ! :D
To have it starting automatically, you have to run the following commands

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl enable pcscd.service
sudo systemctl start pcscd.service
You can also remove acsccid and pcsc-tools if not yet done.

bsbxl

Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:39 am

Thanks to Kyrios's help, the smartcard reader is now up and running when I boot my laptop. Thanks!

Regarding the FIBOCOM L831-EAU WWAN card for wireless 4G internet access, I haven't been able yet to get that card up and running... I googled for Linux drivers for this card and found that it probably needs the mbim drivers. The software center shows that libmbim is already installed. Do I need to install additional drivers?

In another google search result (see: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=100938 ) they speak of a bug in an update of the Linux kernel. However, that is about the 4.12 kernel and my Solus install is running the 4.14 kernel. When I boot the laptop in Manjaro i3 though, which runs an older kernel, the FIBOCOM card is detected. Could this be a kernel issue?

bsbxl

Re: WWAN card and [SOLVED] smart card reader not detected

Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:05 pm

bsbxl wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:39 am
Thanks to Kyrios's help, the smartcard reader is now up and running when I boot my laptop. Thanks!

Regarding the FIBOCOM L831-EAU WWAN card for wireless 4G internet access, I haven't been able yet to get that card up and running... I googled for Linux drivers for this card and found that it probably needs the mbim drivers. The software center shows that libmbim is already installed. Do I need to install additional drivers?

In another google search result (see: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=100938 ) they speak of a bug in an update of the Linux kernel. However, that is about the 4.12 kernel and my Solus install is running the 4.14 kernel. When I boot the laptop in Manjaro i3 though, which runs an older kernel, the FIBOCOM card is detected. Could this be a kernel issue?
Sorry for bumping my question back up again... The use of this WWAN card is important to me. Can anybody point me to a possible solution or another resource where I could search for a solution? Thanks.

Return to “Hardware”