steviesteve78

Gnome framerate/vsync/fps issue

Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:56 am

Hi all, using the live USB, everything runs smooth as butter. When I install the system, everything runs smooth as butter. After the software updates, It looks all of a sudden like the framerate on the screen has halved. Most notable when moving the mouse and windows etc. It's not tearing, its just like the display is running at 20fps or something. I have checked the monitor settings to ensure it is connected at 60hz which it is, tried changing resolution etc to no avail. What could be causing the apparrant drop in FPS on desktop?

King_Boru

Re: Gnome framerate/vsync/fps issue

Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:50 pm

Can you post your hardware specifications?

steviesteve78

Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:30 pm

Yes, my apologies. I am using an HP laptop. Core i5-7200u. It is nVidia Optimus but I have disabled the nvidia card using bbswitch and the desktop is running on intel kabylake 620. I dont understand what is different after the updates and have compared the xorg conf files pre and post install etc. I have tried various different configs for the intel xorg but nothing changes it. What could be the difference between how the live usb sets things up, how a fresh install sets things up and how after the first update I get the drop in fps?

King_Boru

Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:44 pm

You should be able to apply the Nvidia drivers via DoFlicky which will enable better hardware support. Click the "start" button and search for Driver's. Apply them. Restart and report back here.

Sorry missed that you disabled the Nvidia hardware. Why would you need to do that?

steviesteve78

Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:53 am

Nah, it's not that. Doesn't matter if I use nvidia or intel. The same results. No lag on the live usb or a fresh install. Only after update.

I use bbswitch to disable the nvidia chip because, in combination with TLP, it doubles the battery life of the laptop and I spend most of my time just browsing.

steviesteve78

Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:08 am

SOLVED: Found the issue on reddit. Apparantly there is a bug in recent kernels that locks the framerate to 40ghz on certain configurations. Have reverted to LTS kernel for time being and everything smooth again. Was bugging me so bad.

antechdesigns

Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:39 am

steviesteve78 wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:08 am
SOLVED: Found the issue on reddit. Apparantly there is a bug in recent kernels that locks the framerate to 40ghz on certain configurations. Have reverted to LTS kernel for time being and everything smooth again. Was bugging me so bad.

Thanks for posting the solution.

<rant>
That's my only gripe with solus support, you have to go to numerous platforms to find a fix, when it should all be in one place, the forums ideally.
A quick search of the forums and you would have found the problem to your issue within a few minutes.
</rant>

Follow me on youtube: Free Solus Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi4qFG ... YFA/videos

Download Linux Wallpapers https://www.opendesktop.org/member/455534/

Return to “Hardware”