lethed

Razer Blade Stealth - goes to sleep seemingly random

Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:41 pm

Yesterday for the first time I noticed strange behavior with Solus on my Razer Blade Stealth (mid-2017 model).
  • Operations are unresponsive. Although my mouse cursor was active on screen, when I clicked on application button nothing happened. Then I decided to issue a reboot, but clicking the menu icon to restart or shutdown has no response. Then I opened up the terminal and issued a shutdown command. Still nothing. My only option left was a hard shutdown by holding the Power button.
  • System goes to sleep. Upon rebooting the machine I did not encounter the same problem and I continued my work as usual. I needed to reboot the machine later on, and it rebooted without issue. However last night I noticed something new. While logged in and using Solus, the Razer Blade Stealth goes to sleep on its own and powers down the display screen. The power adapter is connected, so I am guessing this is not a power problem. Tapping a key or clicking a mouse button successfully wakes the machine up. I see the password prompt as expected. But after logging back in, the problem recurs after a few seconds and the machine goes back to sleep. So then when I'm able to log in, I have to quickly close all applications and issue a shutdown command. I am having to shutdown and reboot the machine to get the erratic behavior to go away, but it sometimes comes a few hours later.
So far I haven't seen Issue #1 come back. Is this a hardware issue with only Razer or other builds, or a kernel issue?

I don't know the exact cause or a solution. I had a separate issue with several Current and LTS kernel choices showing up upon machine startup, so then I followed instructions posted here https://solus-project.com/articles/trou ... gement/en/ . This cleaned up the boot menu, and I'm certain has absolutely nothing to do with the Sleeping problem.

My hardware info is shown below.

Code: Select all

user@machine ~ $ inxi -Fz
System:    Host: machine Kernel: 4.9.72-66.lts x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Budgie 10.4  Distro: Solus 3
Machine:   Device: laptop System: Razer product: Blade Stealth v: 3.06 serial: N/A
           Mobo: Razer model: Blade Stealth serial: N/A UEFI: Razer v: 1.1 date: 06/04/2017
Battery    BAT0: charge: 53.1 Wh 97.0% condition: 54.7/53.8 Wh (102%)
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i7-7500U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
           clock speeds: max: 3500 MHz 1: 796 MHz 2: 768 MHz 3: 718 MHz 4: 760 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel HD Graphics 620
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.5 ) drivers: intel (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 3200x1800@59.98hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 620 (Kaby Lake GT2) version: 4.5 Mesa 17.3.1
Audio:     Card Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA v: k4.9.72-66.lts
Network:   Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath10k_pci
           IF: wlp1s0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros
           IF: null-if-id state: N/A speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: N/A
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 512.1GB (36.0% used)
           ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 model: SAMSUNG_MZVLW512HMJP size: 512.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 465G used: 172G (39%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-2
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 247 Uptime: 2 min Memory: 969.3/16008.3MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.38 
Ideas?

Return to “Hardware”