whitebunnyflock

AMD_IOMMU=OFF in order to boot stable system

Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:51 am

Presently running Ubuntu 17.10 and using the grub bootloader. This is on my main drive (/dev/sda). After installing Solus on my usb external hard drive (/dev/sdb) i ran sudo update-grub in ubuntu to find Solus bootloader. Now when i boot up i get a list that has GOOFIBOOT in it. I need to enable the kernel command parameter of amd_iommu=off in order to boot kernel 4.12. A fix was made in kernel 4.13 so that I can use my iommu. However I need to know how to apply this kernel parameter from grub on the goofiboot line in order to update to the latest kernel (or the system just crashes). I attempted to edit the goofiboot line in grub and simply type amd_iommu=off which did not work (brought up the usual errors when i am not running kernel 4.13). Can anyone provide me with any advice to make this work?

thanks,

Craig

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Re: AMD_IOMMU=OFF in order to boot stable system

Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:35 pm

whitebunnyflock wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:51 am
Presently running Ubuntu 17.10 and using the grub bootloader. This is on my main drive (/dev/sda). After installing Solus on my usb external hard drive (/dev/sdb) i ran sudo update-grub in ubuntu to find Solus bootloader. Now when i boot up i get a list that has GOOFIBOOT in it. I need to enable the kernel command parameter of amd_iommu=off in order to boot kernel 4.12. A fix was made in kernel 4.13 so that I can use my iommu. However I need to know how to apply this kernel parameter from grub on the goofiboot line in order to update to the latest kernel (or the system just crashes). I attempted to edit the goofiboot line in grub and simply type amd_iommu=off which did not work (brought up the usual errors when i am not running kernel 4.13). Can anyone provide me with any advice to make this work?

thanks,

Craig
To add the parameter to boot
https://solus-project.com/articles/trou ... solus-boot

When using UEFI boot, you'll need to boot into goofiboot directly (and not via Grub). This is how UEFI works with multiple bootloaders and you don't have to run update-grub on any distro ever again because they will not break as they all use their own bootloader.
https://solus-project.com/articles/trou ... es/en/#efi

Return to “Hardware”