thematheus

SAMSUNG M2020

Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:35 pm

I noticed that there is no driver for this Printer on Solus, but I can easily install it on other distros, like Deepin, Manjaro...
I found another way to install it using a .sh file, but I'd like to help to improve Solus

http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/d ... .91.tar.gz

So, what can I do request this driver in the repositories?
Last edited by thematheus on Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

gychang49

Re: SAMSUNG M2020

Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:01 pm

I have the same printer, got it working.

download the uld file from samsung, here http://www.driversamsung.com/samsung-m2 ... ad-driver/

go to downloaded folder and run sudo sh install.sh and install the driver.

turn on the printer connected to usb, and install printer, u will see samsung m2020 show up, that is it.

thematheus

Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:17 am

Yes, I know, I already had mine installed
But I'd like to help to improve the OS, for noobs. So, my question is: How can I request a better native driver support? Because in other distros that's something working just fine.

gimcrack

Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:19 pm

thematheus wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:17 am
Yes, I know, I already had mine installed
But I'd like to help to improve the OS, for noobs. So, my question is: How can I request a better native driver support? Because in other distros that's something working just fine.
Lucky for us Samsung have a simple script to install our printer drivers. So any distro I move to it will just work. My model is M2070FW.

I know some printer drivers are package in .deb or .rpm packages. Well it's not so easy to move to Solus and these packages won't work for a Solus user. So I know what your asking. Solus is young and using a totally different package manager. As request of better printer driver support on Solus. Maybe it will reach into the repositories. Our model really don't need to be there. That script is easy peasy to install. But, those package only ones in a format that Solus doesn't support. Well hope it will get supported. Maybe if printers manufacturers that do support Linux. May be they should have scripts, instead those easy packages for .deb and .rpm formats. So we are not limited of our Linux distro choices for our printers.

K4rol

Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:55 pm

It may be easy to install, but it would be much better if it was in printers database. I think this is what OP is asking for. He found the right driver. How to add it to the database?

Larry_Gilmore

Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:56 am

gychang49 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:01 pm
I have the same printer, got it working.

download the uld file from samsung, here

go to downloaded folder and run sudo sh install.sh and install the driver.

turn on the printer connected to usb, and install printer, u will see samsung m2020 show up, that is it.
Thanks for the guidance about it friend your guide will really helpful. :)

Return to “Hardware”