Reignendt

Unexpected in-game performance with R9 390x

Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:41 am

Code: Select all

Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Hawaii XT / Grenada XT [Radeon R9 290X/390X]
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.5 )
           drivers: ati,amdgpu (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa,radeon)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: AMD Radeon R9 390 Series (HAWAII / DRM 3.19.0 / 4.14.12-44.current, LLVM 5.0.0)
This is my systems graphics configuration. It is the default, as I have not changed anything. I would like to know if this is the most optimal, since I am getting very mediocre in-game performance, even in older games. Is there any way for me to squeeze out a little bit better performance?

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Re: Unexpected in-game performance with R9 390x

Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:34 pm

There is only one driver for the AMD cards. however, it can take till the next release until the performance of the open source drivers matches the performance it should be able to achieve (and it will improve further over time).

You can use the performance CPU governor to make sure that isn't slowing down performance

Reignendt

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:16 pm

sunnyflunk wrote:
it can take till the next release until the performance of the open source drivers matches the performance it should be able to achieve
I understand this can be a hard question to answer, but if you were to make an educated guess, when would that happen? For popular e-sport games, these drivers work very well, but for some games, such as Bioshock Infinite, it does not work well at all. It's mediocre at best, and sometimes contain weird graphical bugs. Is it the same for Nvidia users?

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:25 am

Reignendt wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:16 pm
sunnyflunk wrote:
it can take till the next release until the performance of the open source drivers matches the performance it should be able to achieve
I understand this can be a hard question to answer, but if you were to make an educated guess, when would that happen? For popular e-sport games, these drivers work very well, but for some games, such as Bioshock Infinite, it does not work well at all. It's mediocre at best, and sometimes contain weird graphical bugs. Is it the same for Nvidia users?
Unfortunately, (particularly older games) tended to focus on nvidia support (which was a more common card at the time). This means they don't notice actual bugs or slowdowns if it works on nvidia.

Return to “Hardware”