dixeyk

BT mouse issue

Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:16 pm

Solus doesn't see my MS Surface Pro mouse at all when the mouse is set to discovery mode. It easily sees and connects to my Apple Magic mouse. Amy suggestions or is it simply a lost cause and i should just return it for something else?

dixeyk

Re: BT mouse issue

Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:21 am

Update...I cannot seem to find any way to get the mouse to work. I understand it's because the MS mouse uses something called Bluetooth Smart. Luckily the place I bought it from is willing to give me a refund so I'm sending it back. It's too bad really, because it's a comfortable little mouse but so is the Apple Magic Mouse I use on my Mac and it pairs easily. The only part I don't much care for is that the gestures on the Magic Mouse are pretty sluggish on Solus. I'll look for some other BT mouse to use.

Does anyone have any suggestions of mice that work particularly well?

ModdeyBane

Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:27 am

I'm having trouble with my Bluetooth mouse as well, but what's weird is that it worked perfectly in the live session, but after installing, the bluetooth app in settings no longer sees the mouse at all. I've never encountered that before, and this particular mouse has always worked with every computer I tried it with, including with various Linux distros (like when I was trying Solus out from the live USB). So I don't know if it's the mouse or if the install did something to the bluetooth hardware/firmware/however it works its magic when I installed Solus to the hard drive -- although I can't imagine why such a thing would have happened.

dixeyk

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:33 am

So here's an update: I decided to go with an RF mouse instead. I picked up a Logitech M510 because I decided that it provided the best combination of feel and functionality for a really good price. I have an old Thinkpad T410 so it's got 4 USB plugs on it so using one up for the little RF dongle isn't a big deal. Performance on the RF mouse is terrific and even the extra buttons on the mouse (such as the side buttons working to move to previous and next in a browser).

geoffrey.A

Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:40 pm

Yes, I fully agree that Logitech is the goto brand for Linux enthusiasts. Many years ago when MS started intentionally limiting it branded peripherals to work only on MS-Windows - - Logitech made a decision to work on all OS platforms.

Further, bluetooth is not nearly as reliable as radio wave wireless (and much less coverage).

ModdeyBane

Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:40 pm

My laptop has only 2 USB ports, which is why I'd prefer to use a BT mouse if possible. I'm using a USB wireless mouse at the moment, but that takes away 50% of my USB ports. :( I wasn't aware of the Logitech thing, however, and I appreciate you mentioning that! I'll have a look around and see if I can find a Logitech BT mouse that might work. Thanks for the tip!

Return to “Hardware”