troybox

Re: HP Laptop - Intel/Nvida Solus 3 Install?

Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:15 pm

freedent wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:37 pm
I have a same problem with my labtop.

Code: Select all

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 591b (rev 04)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile] (rev a1)
But I was success my installation with one option in the boot option.

On your boot option choice the line and press E. Add after

quiet

nouveau.modeset=0

After installation you need to do like modification.
Thank you but I'd need simple step-by-step instructions on what to do? Like Linux for Dumbies! ;)

As well I am hoping for a Solus 4 with all this crap fixed and worked out so I can have a gaming Laptop with Solus 4 on it.

Crossing fingers hoping and wishing!

troybox

Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:19 pm

Wow, just checked in on the Solus 4 work list and looking like they are getting closer to completing the task list.

I'm guessing unless they are moving quicker then I think possible April Release?

troybox

Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:52 am

I'm wondering if a Solus 4 developer is reading this will Solus 4 allow my laptop I posted on the 1st posting to use my Nvidia chip for gaming and not just default to the Intel?

Under windows 10 I have great gaming with this laptop but on most linux it can't seem to see the Nvidia chip?

bayo

Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:39 am

troybox wrote:
I'm wondering if a Solus 4 developer is reading this will Solus 4 allow my laptop I posted on the 1st posting to use my Nvidia chip for gaming and not just default to the Intel?

Under windows 10 I have great gaming with this laptop but on most linux it can't seem to see the Nvidia chip?
Try this - choose Disable

also some BIOS have inserted something like Windows OS protection, I think it is under "Boot OS Manager" - if you see it - remove(disable) it.

Laptop System: MSI GP72 2QE
UEFI [Legacy]
Quad core Intel Core i7-5700HQ
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel HD Graphics 5600
Card-2: NVIDIA GM107M [GeForce GTX 950M]
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 5600 (Broadwell GT2)

troybox

Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:05 am

bayo wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:39 am
troybox wrote:

Try this - choose Disable

also some BIOS have inserted something like Windows OS protection, I think it is under "Boot OS Manager" - if you see it - remove(disable) it.
Thank you but its a Linux/Intel-Nvida1050 4g/Solus issue. Solus 3 can't even be installed on it. I can install other Linux Versions on it but they still don't want to use the Nvidia Graphics.

I can load Solus 3 on my Desktop AMD Ryzen 1500X with a ASUS GTX1060 3g no issues pretty much.

I'm despertly waiting for Solus 4 hoping for a more polished and easy to install on use for gaming on my HP Pav with a Intel-Nvida 1050 Graphics Card! :)

ovichiro

Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:34 pm

Hi. Optimus laptops (Intel + Nvidia) are, were and probably will be a problem for Linux for a while. To add to the issue, this may also be OEM dependent.
I hadn't tried new distros in a while and forgot about it, but @freedent is right about `nouveau.modeset=0`. This is a kernel parameter you can add at boot.
How to:

1. While booting into Solus hit the `space` key repeatedly until a boot menu appears. It's somewhat similar to Grub.
2. Hit the `E` key on your keyboard to display a command line with options.
3. At the end of the line, after "quiet splash" write

nouveau.modeset=0
4. Then hit enter.
5. If all goes well, do a full update and install the Nvidia proprietary drivers.

I hope this helps.

PS:
My laptop(skylake + nvidia gtx960m) actually boots fine into the desktop, but I couldn't shut it down properly. Can't say the same about a recent Ubuntu I tried, which boots into a black screen. This is how I got to the mode setting stuff.
The problem is probably `nouveau` which does not get support from Nvidia (it doesn't support all 8xx cards, let alone 9xx and 10xx) and I wouldn't count on it being fixed this decade.
My guess is distros need to find a clever way of figuring out at boot time what your system is capable of. Intel chips from 10 years ago didn't have integrated graphics so disabling `nouveau` by default may not be wise.
Last edited by ovichiro on Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

troybox

Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:36 am

ovichiro wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:34 pm
Hi. Optimus laptops (Intel + Nvidia) are, were and probably will be a problem for Linux for a while. To add to the issue, this may also be OEM dependent.
I hadn't tried new distros in a while and forgot about it, but @freedent is right about `nouveau.modeset=0`. This is a kernel parameter you can add at boot.
How to:

1. While booting into Solus hit the `space` key until a boot menu appears. It's somewhat similar to grub.
2. Hit the `E` key on your keyboard.
3. At the end of the line, after "quiet splash" write

nouveau.modeset=0
4. Then hit enter.
5. If all goes well, do a full update and install the Nvidia proprietary drivers.

I hope this helps.

PS:
My laptop(skylake + nvidia gtx960m) actually boots fine into the desktop, but I couldn't shut it down properly. Can't say the same about a recent Ubuntu I tried, which boots into a black screen. This is how I got to the mode setting stuff.
The problem is probably `nouveau` which does not get support from Nvidia (it doesn't support all 8xx cards, let alone 9xx and 10xx) and I wouldn't count on it being fixed this decade.
My guess is distros need to find a clever way of figuring out at boot time what your system is capable of. Intel chips from 10 years ago didn't have integrated graphics so disabling `nouveau` by default may not be wise.
Thanks man!!!

Your awesome and very informative. I really appreciated how well you explained the info and the easy steps you showed how to do it.

If more people on the Linux forums would do what you did, our lives would be better under Linux!

Not everyone understands the lingo and the quick things said to do that some advanced users respond with.

God Bless you! :)

troybox

Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:58 am

I'm curious do any of you actually have the Intel/Nvidia card working in Solus under Nvidia? And if so do you have as well the Nvidia X-Server working? Can you install Steam and do the games see your Nvidia chip or does it only see Intel chip and try to use that one?

I'm very curious?

Thank you

ovichiro

Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:44 pm

I wouldn't have commented if I hadn't done this and worked. Nvidia Server Settings is installed.
One of the first things I did to test Solus was to install Steam and some games. They work fine.
https://solus-project.com/articles/hard ... rivers/en/
You can also check what LDM sees and what renderer is used by typing

linux-driver-management status
glxinfo | grep render
My Nvidia card seems to be the one used. Also see attachment.
You can't have both Intel and Nvidia drivers active in Solus. If you installed Nvidia, that should be the one used by the system. Dynamic switching (as is on Windows) will come at some point.

P.S.
Try and give more details regarding your problem.
What have you tried that doesn't work?
Good answers need good questions and all that jazz.
Attachments
details-about.png
details-about.png (81.64 KiB) Viewed 263 times

CassBurn

Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:02 pm

Instead of nomodeset, try the following (on login window):
Ctrl+alt+F2 (and log here)
$sudo eopkg up
$sudo eopkg it nvidia-glx-driver
$sudo eopkg it nvidia-glx-driver-current

then reboot.

nomodeset give you the opportunity to install nVidia driver but after you have to remove nomodeset otherwise your graphic render will be bad

Return to “Hardware”