misha66

intel microcode revisted

Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:25 pm

Any chance of re-visiting the intel microcode update issue in light of the spectre problem? . Previously, it was advised to just update the bios. I did this, I think. I mean, I checked the "update bios box" in my bios system settings, but how do I know this actually addressed the issue? Intel provides a direct download of the updated micro-code tarball to take advantage (according to them) of Linux dynamic firmware updating, but where to place the file. More to the point, would Solus actually run the code if I created the appropriate directory (/etc/firmware)? It would be nice if I could just check if the appropriate file was installed. could just

kyrios

Re: intel microcode revisted

Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:27 am

misha66 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:25 pm
Any chance of re-visiting the intel microcode update issue in light of the spectre problem? . Previously, it was advised to just update the bios. I did this, I think. I mean, I checked the "update bios box" in my bios system settings, but how do I know this actually addressed the issue? Intel provides a direct download of the updated micro-code tarball to take advantage (according to them) of Linux dynamic firmware updating, but where to place the file. More to the point, would Solus actually run the code if I created the appropriate directory (/etc/firmware)? It would be nice if I could just check if the appropriate file was installed. could just
It is always a good thing to keep the machine firmware (BIOS) up-to-date. However, if for some reason you can't or if the manufacturer doesn't provide updates anymore, the Intel microcode is available in the repository. You have to be aware that serious problems have been reported with the latest Intel microcode; that's why you can hardly find it distributed. Here is the latest update on this very hot topic.

Return to “Hardware”