troybox
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:12 pm

Civ VI Hardware Testing(Ubuntu vs Solus vs Windows 10)

Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:31 am

Ryzen 1500X OC 3900MHZ
PC-2400 Corsair OC 2800HMZ
Asus x370 PRO MB Latest BIOS
Asus 1060 O/C 3 Gig
32-Bit Sound O/C

1080p Resolution

Ubuntu 16.04.4 About 34 FPS+
Solus 3.99 About 35 FPS+

4K Resolution

Windows 10 About 55 FPS+

Those were the min frames give at fullest load. So the frames dynamically went up from there as the load was less.

All systems had 2X on and Custom Medium Settings.

User avatar
kyrios
Posts: 1920
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:20 pm

Re: Civ VI Hardware Testing(Ubuntu vs Solus vs Windows 10)

Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:28 am

troybox wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:31 am
Ryzen 1500X OC 3900MHZ
PC-2400 Corsair OC 2800HMZ
Asus x370 PRO MB Latest BIOS
Asus 1060 O/C 3 Gig
32-Bit Sound O/C

1080p Resolution

Ubuntu 16.04.4 About 34 FPS+
Solus 3.99 About 35 FPS+

4K Resolution

Windows 10 About 55 FPS+

Those were the min frames give at fullest load. So the frames dynamically went up from there as the load was less.

All systems had 2X on and Custom Medium Settings.
I guess this is in line with this benchmark

troybox
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:12 pm

Re: Civ VI Hardware Testing(Ubuntu vs Solus vs Windows 10)

Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:15 pm

kyrios wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:28 am
troybox wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:31 am
Ryzen 1500X OC 3900MHZ
PC-2400 Corsair OC 2800HMZ
Asus x370 PRO MB Latest BIOS
Asus 1060 O/C 3 Gig
32-Bit Sound O/C

1080p Resolution

Ubuntu 16.04.4 About 34 FPS+
Solus 3.99 About 35 FPS+

4K Resolution

Windows 10 About 55 FPS+

Those were the min frames give at fullest load. So the frames dynamically went up from there as the load was less.

All systems had 2X on and Custom Medium Settings.
I guess this is in line with this benchmark
Thank you for the link! :)

Very interesting results.

What I find interesting is that Solus 3.99 beats Ubuntu by about 1FPS. It's slightly faster to run under Solus? Yet, Steam is native to Desbian? LOL!

User avatar
kyrios
Posts: 1920
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:20 pm

Re: Civ VI Hardware Testing(Ubuntu vs Solus vs Windows 10)

Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:27 pm

troybox wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:15 pm
Thank you for the link! :)

Very interesting results.

What I find interesting is that Solus 3.99 beats Ubuntu by about 1FPS. It's slightly faster to run under Solus? Yet, Steam is native to Desbian? LOL!
Solus usually uses more aggressive compilation flags than Ubuntu and implements some other optimizations.
Also, being a rolling release, Solus always has up-to-date mesa, kernel and other core components.
Last but not least, some special efforts are made for improving gaming experience like LSI for example.

troybox
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:12 pm

Re: Civ VI Hardware Testing(Ubuntu vs Solus vs Windows 10)

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:24 am

kyrios wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:27 pm
troybox wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:15 pm
Thank you for the link! :)

Very interesting results.

What I find interesting is that Solus 3.99 beats Ubuntu by about 1FPS. It's slightly faster to run under Solus? Yet, Steam is native to Desbian? LOL!
Solus usually uses more aggressive compilation flags than Ubuntu and implements some other optimizations.
Also, being a rolling release, Solus always has up-to-date mesa, kernel and other core components.
Last but not least, some special efforts are made for improving gaming experience like LSI for example.
True.

Though I updated both versions to Nvidia 390.25 and Mesa doesn't play a factor for me. Mesa is Open Source I believe and Nvidia sucks in Open Source drivers! :(

Return to “Hardware”