yzos

No Wi-Fi on a fresh installation

Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:21 pm

Hello,

I'm having trouble on setting up Wi-Fi on a new installation of Solus on a new laptop.
This morning, I've received a new laptop I've bought for my girlfriend. It arrived with Windows 10 installed on it but she asked me to install Linux on it like I did on her last computer (KDE Neon). In order to change a bit, I decided to try Solus as I've heard lots of good things about it.
The installation was easy and I didn't encoutered any problem but, after the installation, when I tried to connect to my Wi-Fi, I didn't find anything, in the bottom bar or in the settings > network.
I've looked on the internet and on the Solus forum but I haven't been able to solve my problem.
Here's the laptop I've bought (I live in France) and I suppose the problem is that the Wi-Fi card is not recognized or something like that, but I don't know what Wi-Fi card is in the computer and I'm not an expert in the Linux world. I've already used some distros like Linux Mint, KDE Neon, Manjaro and some others but at a newbie level.

Do you know how I could solve my problem? It'd be very much appreciated as I don't want to re-install Windows 10 on this laptop…

Thanks and have a geat day!

Paul

kyrios

Re: No Wi-Fi on a fresh installation

Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:38 pm

yzos wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:21 pm
Hello,

I'm having trouble on setting up Wi-Fi on a new installation of Solus on a new laptop.
This morning, I've received a new laptop I've bought for my girlfriend. It arrived with Windows 10 installed on it but she asked me to install Linux on it like I did on her last computer (KDE Neon). In order to change a bit, I decided to try Solus as I've heard lots of good things about it.
The installation was easy and I didn't encoutered any problem but, after the installation, when I tried to connect to my Wi-Fi, I didn't find anything, in the bottom bar or in the settings > network.
I've looked on the internet and on the Solus forum but I haven't been able to solve my problem.
Here's the laptop I've bought (I live in France) and I suppose the problem is that the Wi-Fi card is not recognized or something like that, but I don't know what Wi-Fi card is in the computer and I'm not an expert in the Linux world. I've already used some distros like Linux Mint, KDE Neon, Manjaro and some others but at a newbie level.

Do you know how I could solve my problem? It'd be very much appreciated as I don't want to re-install Windows 10 on this laptop…

Thanks and have a geat day!

Paul
The first thing to do if you can, is to connect a network cable and apply all updates (you can open a terminal and run "eopkg up"). The driver might have been added/enabled in more recent updates.

Unfortunately, ldlc doesn't provide any info regarding the brand/model of your wifi chipset.
The following command should help identifying the networking hardware :

Code: Select all

lspci | grep -i network

Return to “Hardware”