YannnD

Brother printer installation

Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:11 pm

I'm trying to install a Brother printer, model DCP-J152W (Solus 1.1). It is recognized as an available network printer, so far so good. There are no Brother drivers available, so the 'Generic' printer driver is recommended, but using that regrettably doesn't lead to a working device. Will there be Brother drivers available in the near future? Or am I overlooking another solution? I can handle some terminal involvement :)
Last edited by YannnD on Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YannnD
Solus-2017.04.18.0-Budgie
BunsenLabs Hydrogen
AVLinux2016

YannnD

Re: Brother printer installation

Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:01 pm

Ahem... anyone able to whisper something about this issue? :|
YannnD
BunsenLabs Hydrogen
AVLinux2016

msullivan

Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:08 pm

YannnD,

You need the right printer driver. Unfortunately, Brother only offers the drivers in .deb and .rpm packages. I searched and found information regarding the drivers and specific details for those package types at the Brother site. Of course, you will then need to try to convert the packaged driver to a tar file in order to run ./configure, make and sudo make install. You may also have to satisfy some dependencies as well. I know there are some applications that can convert those packages, but I have not been able to find them in the repo. One that I used long ago pretty reliably was called "rpm2tgz" and another one I have never tried but sounds promising is called "alien". Maybe try googling for better instructions or maybe Ikey or someone else may have better suggestions. It is unlikely to get the printer to work properly without the driver and the only way to do that is to somehow extract it from what brother has available. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Marty

YannnD

Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:15 pm

Thanks a lot Marty. It's nice that you confirm what I was thinking... I already noticed the availability of .deb and .rpm packages at the Brother site. I'm going to give it a try, unless there are signs that one of our dev team members has a better solution... :)
YannnD
BunsenLabs Hydrogen
AVLinux2016

LarryPage

Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:52 am

YannnD wrote:I'm trying to install a Brother printer, model DCP-J152W (Solus 1.1). It is recognized as an available network printer, so far so good. There are no Brother drivers available, so the 'Generic' printer driver is recommended, but using that regrettably doesn't lead to a working device. Will there be Brother drivers available in the near future? Or am I overlooking another solution? I can handle some terminal involvement :)
This is the problem with the generic printer drivers. Sometimes it doesn't work out well and end up ruining the installation. You have to use the original driver for the brother printer to install it properly. With the generic driver you need to restart the installation over and over again before you get it right

sigahotcore

Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:01 pm

https://www.openprinting.org/printers
Try here , find model close to yours and experiment , i have had good luck .

shawnj78

Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:07 pm

:D thanks for the intallation advise

Return to “Hardware”