AndroidMonkey

Can't adjust screen brightness

Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:23 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm running Solus on a MacBook Air (2008ish). There is no option in Power or Display (GNOME Control Center) to adjust screen brightness, only keyboard brightness. The brightness keys (F1+F2) do not do anything. I've read through several posts about this issue and the solutions presented do not work. The closest to working was the xrander command, but the cursor remains as bright as the noon-day sun and the effect does not persist between sessions.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

AndroidMonkey

Re: Can't adjust screen brightness

Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:29 am

Update: xbacklight and light (both installed through the Software Center) do not return errors, but do nothing. Machine has been restarted multiple times. Could this be a driver issue?

Apt-get isn't being recognized as a command, could that be related?

Schyken

Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:54 am

I'm not sure what the issue is, but it's not apt-get. Solus uses the 'eopkg' command/package management tool whereas Ubuntu and Ubuntu-based distros use 'apt-get'.
It's like food for the body, but it's a drink for the soul.

AndroidMonkey

Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:48 am

I'll make sure to remember that.

I think it's probably a driver issue. This machine seems to be full of Apple's usual disregard for common sense. For example, yesterday I figured out that the touchpad and wireless internet issues were caused by the same thing: lack of a wifi card driver.

Schyken

Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:48 pm

I'd say you're probably right. Apple usually makes their machines just for MacOS and I'd be surprised if it had some insane and stupid incompatibilities because they don't stick to standards.
It's like food for the body, but it's a drink for the soul.

knotu

Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:39 pm

I installed Solus on my MacBook Pro 8,2 and had the same results, could not adjust the keyboard or screen brightness. Oh the slider bar went up and down but, alas, no adjustment of either. Solus is the only distro that installs on a mac without a boot manager such as rEFInd, etc. I would have liked to keep Solus on my mac but I need to adjust the keyboard light and screen brightness.
Solus works great on any Windows based laptop, I have installed it on a Dell 1545, MBR mode and also on a Dell 5520, GPT mode.

Solus is a great distro, kind-of grows on you the more you use it.

AndroidMonkey

Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:31 am

Hi Knotu,

I really like Solus too and I'm keen to keep it, but I can't afford the risk of playing around with my Windows machine. I just don't know enough about computers to guarantee that I can correct any mistakes I make.

Your problem is similar to mine, but I don't even have a screen brightness slider to work with. The only brightness setting is for the keyboard (it works).

I'm at a loss as to what to do. I don't even know where to begin looking for drivers or if that will even help my problem.

ramsey

Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:15 am

Schyken wrote:
I'd say you're probably right. Apple usually makes their machines just for MacOS and I'd be surprised if it had some insane and stupid incompatibilities because they don't stick to standards.
Hi
My brother is having the same problem and I am asking for him. I don't understand what you mean by "Aple makes their machines just for MacOS" and "they don't stick to standards" - what standards are you referring to? so does that mean it's not going to work for me because Apple's OS is not in the norm?
Last edited by ramsey on Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:17 am

ramsey wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:15 am
Schyken wrote:
Hi
My brother is having the same problem and I am asking for him. I don't understand what you mean by "Aple makes their machines just for MacOS" and "they don't stick to standards" - what standards are you referring to? so does that mean it's not going to work for me because Apple's OS is not in the norm?
It usually means that it requires someone (a linux kernel development) to develop drivers or a workaround in the kernel to make it function (or some kernel acpi parameter change). So they need access to hardware, time etc to make it happen.

AndroidMonkey

Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:22 pm

ramsey wrote:
Schyken wrote:
Hi
As an example, above I explained how my touchpad problems were because I was missing a wifi driver. That's a ridiculous thing for Apple to have done and they're probably the only company to have come up with such an idea. Apple builds all of their products specifically for use with their other products, which means you can run into bizarre problems when trying to use other things with their products. For another example of their contempt for industry standards, their new line of laptops does not use USB ports. They have switched to their own kind of port, which requires expensive adapters to convert to USB.

@everyone:

I had meant to put up a notice a few days ago, but the topic hadn't had a reply in quite a while, so I assumed it was lost to the annals of history. Something bricked my laptop and now it has a kernel offset error. I've switched to a virtual machine to avoid ruining any more of my electronics.

Return to “Hardware”