kyrios

Re: Solus - Epson L365: printing and scanning

Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:32 pm

crom5 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:27 pm
Hi kyrios,
I just found on Google one very similar, solved utsushi problem, where scan itself is processing, but no image is saved and also no error occurs:
https://github.com/utsushi/utsushi/issues/21

“paddy-hack commented on Jun 1, 2016
I think there's a bug in the setting of the colour matrix values. It's passing values with a "," as the decimal "point" instead of the "." expected. If so, it's a locale issue. What is the output when you execute that command?”

“paddy-hack commented on Jun 1, 2016
I just reproduced your problem by calling convert from the command-line. This is just what utsushi does under the covers anyway, so that simplifies things. Replacing all the "," with "." fixed the convert invocation. I think that
LC_NUMERIC=C utsushi
will work around your problem for now.”

Unfortunately I don't know how to check if this is the same situation as mine, and what to do if that is the case?
Perhaps you should report your problem there to get some more help with this problem.

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:06 am

Lets get it updated first of all. Approved to land

crom5

Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:41 am

Here's what happens when I try to scan with my Epson L365 after today's Solus full update:

Simple scan

- now I can select the Epson L365 in scan source. When I press the button "scan", usual rotating circles appears for 2 seconds and that's it, nothing happens later - scanner is completely dead.

- terminal command "simple-scan": now I can select the Epson L365 in scan source. When I press the button "scan", usual rotating circles appears for 2 seconds and that's it, nothing happens later - scanner is completely dead. Nothing appears in terminal.

- terminal command "sudo simple-scan": now I can select the Epson L365 in scan source. When I press the button "scan", usual rotating circles appears for 2 seconds and that's it, nothing happens later - scanner is completely dead. This is what I get in terminal:
$ sudo simple-scan
Password:
Created directory: /var/net-snmp
Created directory: /var/net-snmp/mib_indexes

==================

iscan

- I get the error message: "Could not send command to scanner. Check the scanner's status."

- terminal command "iscan": I get the error message "Could not send command to scanner. Check the scanner's status." This is what I get in terminal:
$ iscan
(iscan:1215): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",
(iscan:1215): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

- terminal command "sudo iscan": I get the error message "Could not send command to scanner. Check the scanner's status." This is what I get in terminal:
$ sudo iscan
Password:
(iscan:1249): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",
(iscan:1249): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

==================

utsushi 3.32.0-3

- scan itself is processing, but no image is saved and also no error occurs.

- terminal command "utsushi": scan itself is processing, but no image is saved. This is what I get in terminal:
$ utsushi
(utsushi-scan-gtkmm:1181): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",
(utsushi-scan-gtkmm:1181): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

- terminal command "sudo utsushi": scan itself is processing, but no image is saved. This is what I get in terminal:
sudo utsushi
Password:
(utsushi-scan-gtkmm:1278): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",
(utsushi-scan-gtkmm:1278): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

==================

Consequently I installed via Software center "gtk2-engine-murrine" and "gtk2-engine-murrine-32bit".
After restarting, I tried to launch all 3 programs via terminal, but it still doesn't work. The only difference is that now my terminal is empty without any Gtk-WARNING.

By the way, I also reported the problem here 4 days ago, but still haven't received any response:
https://github.com/utsushi/utsushi/issues/37

crom5

Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:59 pm

Here's some additional useful info:

$ groups
aljosa dialout audio video cdrom lpadmin sudo fuse
$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0b05:1837 ASUSTek Computer, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 04d9:a070 Holtek Semiconductor, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04b8:08d2 Seiko Epson Corp.
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bda:57fa Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
$ sane-find-scanner

# sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
# result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
# scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
# you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.
# Also you need support for SCSI Generic (sg) in your operating system.
# If using Linux, try "modprobe sg".

could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0003 at 002:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x0b05/0x1837 at 001:005: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x04d9/0xa070 at 001:004: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not fetch string descriptor: Pipe error
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8, product=0x08d2) at libusb:001:003
could not open USB device 0x0bda/0x57fa at 001:002: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0002 at 001:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
# Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by
# SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

# Not checking for parallel port scanners.

# Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
# can't be detected by this program.

# You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
# found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
# necessary.
$ sudo sane-find-scanner
Password:

# sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
# result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
# scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
# you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.
# Also you need support for SCSI Generic (sg) in your operating system.
# If using Linux, try "modprobe sg".

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8, product=0x08d2) at libusb:001:003
# Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by
# SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

# Not checking for parallel port scanners.

# Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
# can't be detected by this program.
$ scanimage -L
device `v4l:/dev/video0' is a Noname USB2.0 HD UVC WebCam: USB2.0 HD virtual device
device `utsushi:esci:usb:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-5/1-5:1.0' is a EPSON EPSON_L365_Series

crom5

Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:47 am

I have tried everything on this forum to get my EPSON L365 scanner work, but unfortunately without success. In accordance with "TODO - meta task list" (dramatically increase hardware support no matter what it takes [i.e. "dodgy" printers]), I reported the issue here:
https://dev.solus-project.com/T4899

crom5

Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:45 pm

Today I made a request for inclusion of "Epson Image Scan v3" (iScan V3 scanner driver) in Solus Package Repository or Third Party Repository:
https://dev.solus-project.com/T5052

crom5

Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:35 pm

I received a reply from "utsushi" developer that in order to find what's exactly wrong, I have to change the lib/log.cpp file and recompile Utsushi in the following way:

Replace

Code: Select all

log::priority log::threshold = log::FATAL;
log::category log::matching  = log::NOTHING;
with

log::priority log::threshold = log::DEBUG;
log::category log::matching  = log::ALL;
I don't know how to recompile (and install) "utsushi" by myself, but I'm not afraid to try. I would greatly appreciate if someone can help me by giving me step-by-step instructions :)

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:36 am

crom5 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:35 pm
I received a reply from "utsushi" developer that in order to find what's exactly wrong, I have to change the lib/log.cpp file and recompile Utsushi in the following way:

Replace

log::priority log::threshold = log::FATAL;
log::category log::matching  = log::NOTHING;
with

log::priority log::threshold = log::DEBUG;
log::category log::matching  = log::ALL;
I don't know how to recompile (and install) "utsushi" by myself, but I'm not afraid to try. I would greatly appreciate if someone can help me by giving me step-by-step instructions :)
I'm quite keen to see the output also, if there's any demons in the stack. I've built a new package, with the eopkg and full build code available via

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3jwzz3ncfm4u ... HeGQa?dl=0

You can download the utsushi-3.32.0-4-1-x86_64.eopkg file and install it via:

sudo eopkg install ~/Downloads/utsushi-3.32.0-4-1-x86_64.eopkg
(I'm assuming it downloaded to ~/Downloads, otherwise you'll need to point it to the directory it lives in.

crom5

Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:35 am

Hi sunnyflunk, thank you very much :)
Please bear in mind that I'm not shure if my Solus is 100% ok because I made a lot install/uninstall of various packages (for example "gtk2-engine-murrine" and "gtk2-engine-murrine-32bit") and probably some modifications while attempting to get my scanner work - as soon as new Solus 4 comes out I will make a fresh new install.

Here's the entire content of a file "log.txt" generated after executing terminal command "utsushi 2> log.txt":

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:40 pm

crom5 wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:35 am
Hi sunnyflunk, thank you very much :)
Please bear in mind that I'm not shure if my Solus is 100% ok because I made a lot install/uninstall of various packages (for example "gtk2-engine-murrine" and "gtk2-engine-murrine-32bit") and probably some modifications while attempting to get my scanner work - as soon as new Solus 4 comes out I will make a fresh new install.

Here's the entire content of a file "log.txt" generated after executing terminal command "utsushi 2> log.txt":
Ah, graphicsmagick is poked in Solus, that I know (and seems to be an issue). I'll bookmark this and sort out a hacked together graphicsmagick (there is really something terrible about the way it functions, which is the reason it doesn't work correctly) to test whether graphicsmagick is the cause of the problem or not. But will be after I wake up.

Return to “Hardware”