aiphoenix

Buying a new laptop

Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:49 pm

Hello, you wise people!

I'm quite new to Linux, but I try to learn. After messing around with all the distros, I found that I really like Solus. It just seems to... work right out of the box. Also, Budgie feels like a SOLID desktop, and it will just be better. Tbh, only 'extra' I've installed is Plank. I need my dock, and the dock mode in Budgie panels is not quite there yet. Well, enough ranting. I'm getting a new laptop, and I'd like a 2-1 that can run in tablet mode (type Zenbook). I've read that there are issues with Linux and making screen flip for tent or tablet mode, so my question is. Can you recommend a laptop that would work with this functionality?

Thx a ton!

Justin
Development Team

Re: Buying a new laptop

Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:18 am

Unfortunately each manufacturer may have a different way of doing the tablet mode. Now while Solus certainly isn't designed for tablet functionality I have seen others somewhere that had it working OK.

Only thing I can recommend in buying a laptop is make sure it's 64bit and has Intel wireless and graphics.

kyrios

Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:21 am

aiphoenix wrote:
Hello, you wise people!

I'm quite new to Linux, but I try to learn. After messing around with all the distros, I found that I really like Solus. It just seems to... work right out of the box. Also, Budgie feels like a SOLID desktop, and it will just be better. Tbh, only 'extra' I've installed is Plank. I need my dock, and the dock mode in Budgie panels is not quite there yet. Well, enough ranting. I'm getting a new laptop, and I'd like a 2-1 that can run in tablet mode (type Zenbook). I've read that there are issues with Linux and making screen flip for tent or tablet mode, so my question is. Can you recommend a laptop that would work with this functionality?

Thx a ton!
Once you have found a few models you like, search comments/reviews of users before buying (search on "computer brand and model" and "linux").

aiphoenix

Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:18 am

kyrios wrote:
aiphoenix wrote:
Hello, you wise people!

Thx a ton!
Once you have found a few models you like, search comments/reviews of users before buying (search on "computer brand and model" and "linux").
Thx for replying! I have searched, but there are seems to be several issues with most of the models. It might have to do with linux kernels, drivers, bios and what have you. I was hoping if maybe someone here had any Solus-specific advice they'd like to share!

hazelnut

Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:39 pm

aiphoenix wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:18 am
kyrios wrote:
aiphoenix wrote:
Hello, you wise people!

Thx a ton!
Thx for replying! I have searched, but there are seems to be several issues with most of the models. It might have to do with linux kernels, drivers, bios and what have you. I was hoping if maybe someone here had any Solus-specific advice they'd like to share!
I have also been looking at getting a 2-in-1 to put Linux on. I haven't been picky about which distribution just so long as it has a reasonably strong community. I have come to the conclusion that I should wait a couple of years. Linux without a keyboard is not (in my opinion) ready for prime time but it does look to be getting better.

It does appear to be possible but there is a bit of competition between turning some of the android spin-offs into something that has a decent keyboard+mouse interface and adding keyboardless and touch-friendly functionality to full-on Linux.

aiphoenix

Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:25 pm

Justin wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:18 am
Unfortunately each manufacturer may have a different way of doing the tablet mode. Now while Solus certainly isn't designed for tablet functionality I have seen others somewhere that had it working OK.

Only thing I can recommend in buying a laptop is make sure it's 64bit and has Intel wireless and graphics.
Thank you!

fabia

Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:10 am

Not sure what your budget is, but something like here might do

GumbyDamnIt!

Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:35 pm

I don't know if you could settle for a non-detachable screen, which rotates all the way back, but it seems to me that there are quite a lot of folks running Linux on the Lenovo Yoga models. Although, I confess that I've never inquired if the display image intelligently flips when appropriate, so you should do your due diligence on that aspect.

If this sounds like an acceptable solution, hit the Lenovo & ThinkPad forums and start asking questions. Once you settle on a model, the Arch WiKi may be able to provide more detailed information, as in this example:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Le ... Yoga_2_Pro

steviesteve78

Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:30 pm

Gnome desktop has been touch friendly out of the box when I used it on a Samsung Tab... And you can have a nice tidy dock easily. Might be worth giving it a try on your current setup if you havent already. Although, I'm not sure the popup keyboard works properly unless you are on a touch screen with no keyboard attached. Good luck.

ryan79

Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:57 pm

i think a gaming laptop like these would be suitable for you. https://www.huntlaptop.com/best-gaming- ... nder-1500/
But you need to spend a lot of money for the best one.

Return to “Hardware”