stimmz
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:48 pm

Nvidia drivers - jerky desktop?

Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:54 pm

Hi all,

Just getting into Solus. I installed Nvidia drivers through doflicky, normal and 32bit. When restarting the desktop performance was lagged and jerky with all movements and the mouse. Kind of like everything is running at 10-15fps, fluctuating. I then followed some forum advice, uninstalled the drivers and then re-installed them with eopkg - no change, still terrible performance.

My system:
Nvidia GTX 1070
16GB RAM
Intel i7-4790
Gigabyte H97 chipset mother board
SSD HDD

(All updates applied in the OS)

Anything I can try? Thx

antechdesigns
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:12 pm
Location: UK
Contact: Website

Re: Nvidia drivers - jerky desktop?

Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:16 pm

stimmz wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:54 pm
Hi all,

Just getting into Solus. I installed Nvidia drivers through doflicky, normal and 32bit. When restarting the desktop performance was lagged and jerky with all movements and the mouse. Kind of like everything is running at 10-15fps, fluctuating. I then followed some forum advice, uninstalled the drivers and then re-installed them with eopkg - no change, still terrible performance.

My system:
Nvidia GTX 1070
16GB RAM
Intel i7-4790
Gigabyte H97 chipset mother board
SSD HDD

(All updates applied in the OS)

Anything I can try? Thx
What version of nvidia driver did doflicky install?

Follow me on youtube: Free Solus Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi4qFG ... YFA/videos

Download Linux Wallpapers https://www.opendesktop.org/member/455534/

pheek1g
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:46 am

Re: Nvidia drivers - jerky desktop?

Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:48 am

I'm getting the same issue as well. I switched from elementary because I can actually get battle.net loading and launched perfectly fine. Without the drivers installed via doflicky the desktop is fine. However, when I install the nvidia drivers with doflicky (384.59) my desktop becomes extremely hesitant. Whenever I move the mouse you will see a slight background fade with each movement, and to add to that my desktop looks like its running at 15FPS like the OP said.

Code: Select all

System:    Host: brandon-pc Kernel: 4.12.8-13.current x86_64 (64 bit)
           Desktop: Gnome 3.24.3 Distro: Solus 3
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GP102 [GeForce GTX 1080 Ti]
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.18.4) driver: nvidia
           Resolution: 2560x1440@143.96hz
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
           version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 384.59
Any ideas?

sunnyflunk
Development Team
Posts: 2967
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:35 pm

Re: Nvidia drivers - jerky desktop?

Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:25 am

pheek1g wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:48 am
I'm getting the same issue as well. I switched from elementary because I can actually get battle.net loading and launched perfectly fine. Without the drivers installed via doflicky the desktop is fine. However, when I install the nvidia drivers with doflicky (384.59) my desktop becomes extremely hesitant. Whenever I move the mouse you will see a slight background fade with each movement, and to add to that my desktop looks like its running at 15FPS like the OP said.

Code: Select all

System:    Host: brandon-pc Kernel: 4.12.8-13.current x86_64 (64 bit)
           Desktop: Gnome 3.24.3 Distro: Solus 3
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GP102 [GeForce GTX 1080 Ti]
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.18.4) driver: nvidia
           Resolution: 2560x1440@143.96hz
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
           version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 384.59
Any ideas?
It appears the drivers have an issue with libmutter and g-sync. I've just seen the new release which disables g-sync with mutter. Do you have g-sync enabled?

juampiursic
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:33 pm

Re: Nvidia drivers - jerky desktop?

Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Hi guys! I'm new here but I also found out that my desktop using Solus GNOME is a little laggy, to be honest it's laggy in all the distros I've tried, the best one so far was Fedora with almost no lag but with Solus I'm experience some jerky animations when going into task view, maximizing or resizing windows. With Budgie is smooth, budige settings are often a little choppy but it's a little better, the problem is that Budige doesn't have a task view, I can't get all my windows in a single view, and that may seem not a big deal but it's for me, it helps my workflow, I manage to get to my windows faster, manage to multitask better.

If anybody founds a solution to make this smooth, a more pleasant experience, please let know 'cause I found that Solus it's a great distro and have all the things I need a few clicks.

User avatar
Justin
Development Team
Posts: 3616
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:42 am
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Contact: Website Google+ Twitter

Re: Nvidia drivers - jerky desktop?

Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:13 am

juampiursic wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:38 pm
Hi guys! I'm new here but I also found out that my desktop using Solus GNOME is a little laggy, to be honest it's laggy in all the distros I've tried, the best one so far was Fedora with almost no lag but with Solus I'm experience some jerky animations when going into task view, maximizing or resizing windows. With Budgie is smooth, budige settings are often a little choppy but it's a little better, the problem is that Budige doesn't have a task view, I can't get all my windows in a single view, and that may seem not a big deal but it's for me, it helps my workflow, I manage to get to my windows faster, manage to multitask better.

If anybody founds a solution to make this smooth, a more pleasant experience, please let know 'cause I found that Solus it's a great distro and have all the things I need a few clicks.
Are you on the correct NVIDIA drivers? Please post the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -F

sunnyflunk
Development Team
Posts: 2967
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:35 pm

Re: Nvidia drivers - jerky desktop?

Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:52 am

There's been an update (currently in unstable) to the nvidia drivers which should help with issues in gnome/budgie with the binary drivers in the next sync.

Kim Wadum
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:59 pm

Re: Nvidia drivers - jerky desktop?

Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:04 pm

I just had this exact problem, and fixed it by setting the "Force Full Composition Pipeline" in NVIDIA X Server Settings.
Source: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/ ... a-gpu.8892

Update:
This setting disables G-Sync in games. :-/

This might be related:
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topi ... d-gtx1070/

Kim Wadum
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:59 pm

Re: Nvidia drivers - jerky desktop?

Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:41 pm

I might have found a possible solution for this. :-)

Firing a manual disable command at startup, seems to disable G-sync for Budgie, but not everything else.
Indicator checkbox stays on in my case.

Raven menu settings -> Autostart -> command: "nvidia-settings -a AllowGSYNC=0"

Perhaps someone can verify this?

Brandywine
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:32 pm

Re: Nvidia drivers - jerky desktop?

Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:16 pm

Kim Wadum wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:41 pm
I might have found a possible solution for this. :-)

Firing a manual disable command at startup, seems to disable G-sync for Budgie, but not everything else.
Indicator checkbox stays on in my case.

Raven menu settings -> Autostart -> command: "nvidia-settings -a AllowGSYNC=0"

Perhaps someone can verify this?
I tried this solution but I still have the jittery desktop (nvidia k3100).

Return to “Hardware”