chbmb

Compiling foo2zjs printer drivers & CUPS issue....

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:03 pm

So, I've migrated to Solus and everything has gone tickety boo, I just have one remaining piece of the puzzle to figure out and I'd really appreciate some help.

I have a Dell 1355cn printer, that I've successfully setup on Ubuntu and Antergos in the past, but I'm struggling with Solus, using the default printer drivers included with Solus isn't working, which is no great surprise as that's been the case across other distros and I've needed to use the foo2zjs drivers before.

The homepage for the required foo2hbpl drivers is here.

(Although they are open source I haven't made a package request as they don't fulfill the requirement of having version numbering within the tar name.)

I've got my build dependencies installed, make, gcc etc.

Code: Select all

wget -O foo2zjs.tar.gz http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/foo2zjs.tar.gz
tar zxf foo2zjs.tar.gz
cd foo2zjs
then when it comes to make I run into issues.

sudo make
throws the following error.

#
# Dependencies...
#
# ... OK!
#
cc -O2 -Wall    -c -o zjsdecode.o zjsdecode.c
In file included from /usr/include/errno.h:35:0,
                 from zjsdecode.c:30:
/usr/include/bits/errno.h:24:26: fatal error: linux/errno.h: No such file or directory
 # include <linux/errno.h>
                          ^
compilation terminated.
make: *** [<builtin>: zjsdecode.o] Error 1
And that's as far as I get. I'm still in my first year of the Linux desktop, so go easy on me. :)

But if someone could let me know where I'm going wrong, I'd be really grateful.

Thanks!
Last edited by chbmb on Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Justin
Development Team

Re: Compiling foo2zjs printer drivers.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:29 am

First suggestion is running make without sudo as it isn't needed.

I believe you'll need to install linux-headers as that has errno.h in it. You may also need the specific headers for your kernel. See "uname -r" and you'll see which kernel you're on, then install linux-XYZ-headers where XYZ is the last part of the kernel name ie current or lts.

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:57 am

In addition to installing justin's linux headers. Make sure you have the development tools installed.

sudo eopkg install -c system.devel

chbmb

Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:37 pm

Thanks guys,

I actually discovered the system.devel package 5 mins after I posted, but as I'm a noob, I couldn't retract my post!

Got foo2 compiling now, and installed my printer, and it seems like everything should work. First job after boot even causes the printer to spin up and come out of power saving, but nothing prints.

Tried the exact same settings I have on Antergos and still got nowhere, have turned on debugging in CUPS and spent the evening yesterday trying to get to the root of the issue, to no avail.

Need to get some proper work done, so going to have to put this on the back burner for a while, but I'll post back if/when I figure it out, so going to leave the post open for now.

I'm lucky enough to have two (old) thinkpads so I'm going to revert back to Antergos as my daily driver for the time being and leave Solus on my backup as I really want to migrate in the long term to Solus, so that'll give me the ability to look at the issue in my spare time.

Appreciate the replies.

chbmb

Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:06 pm

So been playing around with this a bit more, unfortunately not really got anywhere.... :?

Installing with

wget -O foo2zjs.tar.gz http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/foo2zjs.tar.gz
tar zxf foo2zjs.tar.gz 
cd foo2zjs/
make
sudo make install 
Everything appears to work, here's the pastebin of the process, nothing jumps out as worrying to me.

Add my printer as usual, as I would with any other distro, but also tried installing directly in CUPS, try printing a test page and on the surface all looks as though it's working. Except nothing prints, the printer spins up, sounds like it's about to do something, then.... nothing.

Checking the CUPS log, the only thing that stands out is.

E [21/Nov/2017:20:01:24 +0000] [cups-deviced] PID 1725 (gutenprint52+usb) stopped with status 1!
E [21/Nov/2017:20:01:24 +0000] [cups-deviced] PID 1723 (hpfax) stopped with status 1!
Would love some help trying to get to the bottom of this, been intermittently playing around with it for the last couple of months, fresh installs of Solus, so my previous attempts aren't hindering my current attempt but it's starting to dawn on me I really don't have a clue what I'm doing..... :D

chbmb

Re: Compiling foo2zjs printer drivers & CUPS issue....

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:35 pm

So never did get this working......

Gave up and installed CUPS on a RPi, shows up automatically in Solus now and working fine, so I'm happy.

sunnyflunk
Development Team

Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:24 am

You can request for it to be added to the repo, which will solve such an issue for yourself and anyone in future.

https://solus-project.com/articles/pack ... ackage/en/

chbmb

Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:08 pm

sunnyflunk wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:24 am
You can request for it to be added to the repo, which will solve such an issue for yourself and anyone in future.

https://solus-project.com/articles/pack ... ackage/en/
I looked at that sunnyflunk, but it doesn't meet the criteria for inclusion as the author doesn't release versioned tarballs. Also it compiled absolutely fine, so not convinced it's purely a packaging issue.

Return to “Hardware”